I Forge Iron

design critique

antigoth24

hey guys I was stuck at my desk job today and found some time to sketch up a concept drawing of my next knife I like most of it but I'm not sure about the black "braid" area but it would be burned in and the surrounding area would have a walnut finish...should I leave it plain? and then the bolster area (its hard to see) but it will be made up of two or three layers of steel that meets the guard...steel will be 5160 with an antiqued vinegar finsh and maybe a hamon if i can pull it off oh and nearly forgot! the area in the middle of the blade is a ounsided narrow fuller that will be ground in so let me know what you guys think all critique is welcome!

post-8703-077803300 1283113130_thumb.jpg

hey guys I was stuck at my desk job today and found some time to sketch up a concept drawing of my next knife I like most of it but I'm not sure about the black "braid" area but it would be burned in and the surrounding area would have a walnut finish...should I leave it plain? and then the bolster area (its hard to see) but it will be made up of two or three layers of steel that meets the guard...steel will be 5160 with an antiqued vinegar finsh and maybe a hamon if i can pull it off oh and nearly forgot! the area in the middle of the blade is a ounsided narrow fuller that will be ground in so let me know what you guys think all critique is welcome!

I like the design, but I would think those little curls (especially the one on the blade!!) would be great spots for cracks to start, especially if you're heat treating. The braid area would just be burned in, or would it be carved/layered somehow?

You shouldn't find that the curls lead to cracks as long as the transition from the main part of the blade to the curl is kept smooth. It's internal sharp corners that usually lead to stress risers (and therefore lead to cracks) rather than fine points.
You may well find that the curls make the knife a lot less practical though. This may not be a concern, I know. Some of us just like to make knives for the looking at rather than the using of, but the curls would tend to snag on stuff and might be a devil to keep clean.

thanks for all the critique guys! I just finished forging it this evening and I have to say i let the length get away from me a little bit so it's about 1/2 inch longer than the picture and has a more downward curve along the spine but it's only slight. Toreus I hadnt even thought about that! but I'm not too concerned about that because based on that downward curve it's become more of a chopper but maybe I'll attach a pipe cleaner to the sheath just in case :P now happily but sadly we are painting my basement floor and having family stay with us for my sister's baby shower so I probably won't be able to get any work done all week :( sorry for the crappy pics I just had time to snap a quick photo but I'll get better pictures as the process goes on!

post-8703-048946000 1283132921_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That looks great i really like the recurve blade.
cant wait to see this one!

sadly i learned the lesson of "don't rush things" on this knife that led me to screw up tons of things on it so I'm leaving it unfinished but it still makes for a good shop knife....ill post pictures later