I Forge Iron

theft in my area

kburd

Thought I would post under this thread, A few months back a contractor friend of mine had his 14' trailer stolen, with all of his tools in it, that same trailer was sold along with 3 other trailers all at one time all the same day. Each of them FULL of tools , the tool cases of each trailer had different names on them, none of which were of the guy selling said trailers, anyway he sold them to "Dan's Discount Pawn" in Lexington, Ky. My friend was contacted by the police about his trailer being recovered when the cops recovered other stolen items from this shop, as they do every couple of weeks. He was not able to get any of his tools back because every case with a name on it was found dumped in a church dumpster a few days later so they couldnt prove they were his.. Anyway for some reason or another they never seem to be able to shut this store down and I constantly hear the ads for it, so please please please never shop there if you live in or around the area.

/rant off

I got you one. My brother's motorcycle, an 06 honda bought brand new, was stolen 2 years ago. they found the bike, repainteed krylon silver, and the thief fixed a few problems that had kept him from riding it. now the impound lot wants him to pay $195 and it goes up 20 daily to get it back. so his bike was stolen by a thief and now it is going to get stolen again by the impound lot. all because he is out of work and can't get the money together to get his bike back. 30 days from now and it is their's, legally abandoned at tow yard.

it was stolen from him, he shouldn't hav eto pay to get it back, that should be the thiefs problem.

I got you one. My brother's motorcycle, an 06 honda bought brand new, was stolen 2 years ago. they found the bike, repainteed krylon silver, and the thief fixed a few problems that had kept him from riding it. now the impound lot wants him to pay $195 and it goes up 20 daily to get it back. so his bike was stolen by a thief and now it is going to get stolen again by the impound lot. all because he is out of work and can't get the money together to get his bike back. 30 days from now and it is their's, legally abandoned at tow yard.

it was stolen from him, he shouldn't hav eto pay to get it back, that should be the thiefs problem.

The problem is that they would have to put the thief to work in order to get any value out of his time behind bars(but he`s probably out on bail or on probation now).
Now if someone was willing to work then he wouldn`t be a thief now would he?

There`d be a lot less thieves and drug dealers if they brought back the chain gangs and put some of these low lifes to work for the county doing hard labor.

of course your right, but it stil isnt right. on priciple its ust wrong him haviong to pay to get his stolen property back

While I agree that the person who has been legally determined to have taken something should be held responsible for all costs of returning the stolen property to the original owner,the reality is that the folks who tow and store these things have ties to the courts and therefore the protection of their profits is the court`s highest interest.

You sound like you think this is based in reality and the aim is real justice rather than profit.
Snap out of it man!This is America,cash is king here!
Spend all your money on insurance and forsake any attachment to your property while you still can! You`ll be far better off if you do,they said so on TV and those good people never lie. :rolleyes:

well i know the true issues involved. true justice only comes at the tip of a barrel...a gun barrel. and then only when you can dispense those little lead pills "legally".

on principal though, it is still wrong that he have to pay to get his bike back or surrender it to them after 30 days.

will this ever change, probably not it will most likely get worse over time. but while I am a man of the "law" I am also a man of principal. unfortunatly the two rarely ever meet.

Well if it were my brother's bike and we were on speaking terms, I would have already paid the storage fees to save more costs. Then worry about collecting from my brother,

Just my $.02 worth.

Jerry

I thought of that, only I won't have enough money available to pay the fees until three weeks from now. by then the bike will already be gone. my thoughts were pay the fees and impound his bike at my place until he can pay me. i looked and i don't have the money.

Two questions;Does your brother have a phone and did he have insurance?

yes he has a phone and no he has no insurance on it.

he loaned the bike to one of our other brothers, jeff. when jeff moved to the luisianna(spelling?). the bike came back needing tons of upkeep to be ridable so he dropped the insurance until it was ridable again. then i got stolen.

oddly he moved to the swampy state with only what he could carry on a motorcycle. who does that...anyway thats off topic

If he has a phone then he can call friends and family and raise the money to bail it out.I`d start with the brother who ran it down so bad.
There`s always a way to keep a bike from the hands of the impound or the auction block if you want it bad enough.My wife and I paid for the birth of our first son by calling in favors from all the people I had done favors for.The members of my bike club,other local clubs and all their friends were the first to help.We held a big party and admission was a pint of blood,payable at the blood mobile that the Red Cross parked in our yard.Each pint of blood was,I believe,$40 off our hospital bill.The beer and food were donations from calling in those favors.

Pick up that phone and start calling everybody you have ever done a favor for,unless your brother thinks the bike is too far gone to worry about.In that case,the impound is doing you a favor by taking it.
There is always the civil courts if you have the time and don`t want the thief to walk away and steal another bike.You may be able to squeeze something out of him or at least aggravate him enough to go straight.
You don`t have to shoot someone to get justice,many times a good old fashioned beating will work wonders for everyone involved.Be sure you have that bondsman`s number handy if you decide to go that route though.
Nothin` lower than a bike thief unless it`s a horse thief and in some places they still hang them when they`re caught.

thanks you have some really good ideas. I'll pass them along, maybe we can save the bike after all. I have my bondsman on speed dial, i have ever since I got my carry permit.

the cops around here don't know or don't care what the law actually means. i asked a 7 and they told me my concealed carry permit doesn't allow me to carry a concealed hand gun anywhere. the judge and state's attorney all said different. i figure eventually i'll need the bondsman to get me and my gun out of jail.

the cops around here don't know or don't care what the law actually means. i asked a 7 and they told me my concealed carry permit doesn't allow me to carry a concealed hand gun anywhere. the judge and state's attorney all said different.

In Texas that would be cop-speak for"Don`t let me catch you carryin` no gun,boy.I don`t care what that worthless piece of paper sez,this is MY town."

A concealed carry permit or FFL was just like waving a red flag in front of a bull to local law enforcement.We actually had town cops pull up and say "Thanks for the heads up,we`ll be comin` to visit real soon to see why you wanted to file that paperwork".
From what I saw during my short visits to Ga it has alot in common with TX in the law enforcement area.