I Forge Iron

a new style of knife?

antigoth24

hey guys its been a while since i posted but there's a knife im working on and wondering if you guys could help me out on if this style has already been "invented" i'm going to be making more like it so that the only reason i call it a "Style" but correct me if im wrong! well anywho I'm calling it a "half-back hunter" until a better name can be found or made up but its a 9 inch blade thats 1 1/4 inch wide and less than 1/8 inch thick now i flat ground the blade but on the reverse side where on a normal bowie you would have that slight curve its straight and given a full edge that extends halfway down the spine with a rounded "gut hook"...well let me know what you guys think and thanks for looking!

post-8703-021844700 1281819312_thumb.jpg

thanks for the info guys i do definitely see some resemblance (at least at the back edge) to the kopis but ill make sure to take pictures as it comes along...the handle is going to be shaped so that it can be held comfortably no matter which edge your using but it wont be round so still figuring that out... :/

ok so i got around to polishing the blade and did so up to 400 grit by hand and then i etched it in vinegar and while i got mixed results with my attempt at the hamon i did like the kind of pseudo aged look it gave the knife so let me know what you guys think...next im onto the handle and will post pics when done...thanks for looking!

post-8703-062952400 1282015338_thumb.jpg

post-8703-028429200 1282015488_thumb.jpg

hey, looks like it's gonna be a nice knife.
I am curious as to why you want sharpened false edge on the knife, what purpose will it serve? Will it be sharpened at a different angle to the main edge?
Can't wait to see how it looks finished.
Karl

hey, looks like it's gonna be a nice knife.
I am curious as to why you want sharpened false edge on the knife, what purpose will it serve? Will it be sharpened at a different angle to the main edge?
Can't wait to see how it looks finished.
Karl

whenever i think about making a hunting knife i remember what my uncle (a hunter) always says when it comes to skinning and thats that smaller is normally better! so thats more what the reverse edge is for more precision cuts whereas the main edge is for general purpose but they are sharpened and ground at different angles