I Forge Iron

squirell cage blower?

I was thinking of using the squirell cage and blower from my Lemans (it's getting replaced anyhow why not use it) but I'm a little unsure how to adapt it for a forge. I'd need a motor, or could I use the old motor as long as it's good, right? LOL..here we go again Frosty..

What's a "Lemans"?

I have a blower on a farrier's coal forge I picked up years ago that's a 12v out of a car heater and it works plenty well though I'm sure if I want to use it again it'll need replacing seeing as I haven't lit that forge in probably 20 years.

In general a squirrel cage blower is intended for high volume rather than pressure so they can be problematical adapting. A typical forge blower is large diameter with small impeller blade width so it moves air faster at lower volume. High velocity at low volume works out to higher pressure for the same volume, though it's not a direct corelation or you could just use an air hose. Of course you CAN use an air hose but it's trickier than just jamming it into the tuyere and taping the valve handle down.

Frosty the Lucky.

What's a "Lemans"?

I have a blower on a farrier's coal forge I picked up years ago that's a 12v out of a car heater and it works plenty well though I'm sure if I want to use it again it'll need replacing seeing as I haven't lit that forge in probably 20 years.

In general a squirrel cage blower is intended for high volume rather than pressure so they can be problematical adapting. A typical forge blower is large diameter with small impeller blade width so it moves air faster at lower volume. High velocity at low volume works out to higher pressure for the same volume, though it's not a direct corelation or you could just use an air hose. Of course you CAN use an air hose but it's trickier than just jamming it into the tuyere and taping the valve handle down.

Frosty the Lucky.

What's a Lemans!?!?..lol..my old 1969 Pontiac Lemans, that just sets in the garage collecting dust. She needs a total restoration, almost every single part needs to be replaced..and I'M NOT BEING SARCASTIC..lol.. Ya, brain fart on the hole blower motor idea..Thanks though Frosty, xxxx you are a smart smither..lol..seriously!