I Forge Iron

Any Idea what I have?

If you are interested in selling it---it shouldn't bring much as it's in VERY poor condition. Personally I might buy it for 25 cents a pound to use as a doorstop.

If you are interested in using it; it could be used till a better anvil comes your way. You will want to try to stay on what's left of the face though as the cast iron body is pretty bad for forging on. Don't do ANY grinding as the face is already too thin! Wirebrush and learn to use it's idiosyncrasies.

I might buy it for 25 cents a pound to use as a doorstop. it could be used till a better anvil comes your way.

This is exactly why we ask for your location, If you were near Thomas Powers you could sell it as a doorstop. We could then look for a workable anvil close to your location so you could reinvest the money.

I know where two 75 pound pieces of 4 inch round (with one end square) just went for $5.25 each as scrap to the junk yard. Either could have been used as an anvil.

Hey! It's better than a rock :P But just by a little. Clean it up a little and use the good parts of the face and horn and stay away from the bad parts until you can find a decent anvil. Better than many an Iron Age smith had and they did some wonderful work and so can you. :D

Hey what is wrong with using a rock it is what I started with. :D
HPIM0764.jpg

I would have much preferred to have an old Fisher like that at first.