I Forge Iron

Simple hinge design

By the way... beautiful work John.

Thanks Don, But I can't take credit for them, (apart from the winking dragon and heads on caoachscrews/lag bolts) they were made by various blacksmiths, some of them being students of our Guild, or have attended courses at Westpoint, this weekend we are doing doorknockers.

Thanks for the guidance, folks. Can we talk about pintles? If I want to make a pintle that bolts on, what is a good way to go about it? Can I make a small strap and form an eye around the pin but make it tight to hold the pin? Is there another way to get the pin to stay in the eye of the pintle? Or do I somehow forge the pin from the same piece as the strap (pintle)? Would it make sense to use 1" flat stock and draw down the end the end to 3/8" round to form the pin, bend it vertical?

Just some thoughts. For now, simple is good. Any ideas, thoughts suggestions?

Thanks for the guidance, folks. Can we talk about pintles? If I want to make a pintle that bolts on, what is a good way to go about it? Can I make a small strap and form an eye around the pin but make it tight to hold the pin? Is there another way to get the pin to stay in the eye of the pintle? Or do I somehow forge the pin from the same piece as the strap (pintle)? Would it make sense to use 1" flat stock and draw down the end the end to 3/8" round to form the pin, bend it vertical?

Just some thoughts. For now, simple is good. Any ideas, thoughts suggestions?

Make your pintle however you choose and then tenon it and fit to your backplate, picture should illustrate what I mean

Second from left post-816-027408000 1280596673_thumb.jpg

Make your pintle however you choose and then tenon it and fit to your backplate, picture should illustrate what I mean

Second from left post-816-027408000 1280596673_thumb.jpg

So the pintle was a separate piece from the back plate in this case? Is it unrealistic to forge it from one piece?

So the pintle was a separate piece from the back plate in this case? Is it unrealistic to forge it from one piece?

Yes the actual pin arrangement was stepped, fitted and rivetted into the block which had a square tenon on which went through the backplate and this mini assembly was then rivetted in position on the backplate.

The backplate has a "hollowed area/bridge" in to allow the plate to seat flat when fitted, otherwise there will have to be a recess put into where the backplate fits to allow it to seat correctly.

If you want to forge the whole pintle from one piece, do so, its not a problem, but do make sure to keep a record of the measurements (and sequence) you are using, as hinges come in pairs usually and you want them to match

Easier for a one off job to make two off (the pair) at the same time, step by step as you go, particularly if you are learning, and some tooling may help,

If you do do them in one piece, give some thought to your sequence of stages, and make sure that after you have punched the securing holes they will be accessible when the items are finished, there is nothing worse than trying to screw or bolt something into place at site, and you can't get the screw in so that it can be secured