I Forge Iron

OI! blokes this isnt a lingual discussion on the good old days of the english language!
i am looking for genuine advice, not an old fogies look at chaucers great works..... :P

Trying to think of any Aussie writers, only one I can think of is Germaine Greer ........... the word great doesn't spring to mind in this case

Oops, appear to have ineterupted again B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey woody

Have you got hold of the sucker yet or not, theres 2 hammers in the latest plant and equipment mag a 2 and a 7 both are asking $15000 or so, bit over priced for where they are (Tas and WA). I have a piece I was writing for a blacksmiths mag on removing my 5cwt, I'm trying to find it. What sort of equipment do you have to remove this hammer, is it in a high roofed workshop or not, give me some idea of what you have to remove it, where it is, do you have access to a forklift, can you get some helpers, do you have any jacks, packing timber etc.

Phil

what is the magazine you were writing for?

• 2 years later...

re opening old wounds.....

i have just re read this whole thread, and it seems like ancient history!

but, i have now scored the position of "the new primo" (the old smith in the mill was named primo), i am now employed as a smith/boilermaker.

today i spent all day countersinking m20 bolts under the hammer.

it still wont go into multiple blow.

hoping that John N is reading this......

should i attempt to remove the  valve and "de coke" it?

it seems to puff and blow a lot in the positions below neutral, before it starts chomping and it just will not lift. it goes straight into full blow range.

i took a video, i will attempt to upload it.

Nice read, thanks for updating us. :) It seems you should offer to replace it with a hydraulic press? Are there any cheap ones that would do the job? Just tell them the old guy was right to only use it as a press due to its being messed up- let me get it out of the way and buy you a real press- it will do what we use that broken machine for much better and safer too.

smith out

Congrats on getting the job Woody, much better use of your skill than a cleaner.  When the mill needs new coupling hooks and links made for the cane waggons I know a place down near Cessnock NSW that can make them, they are too big to do using a 5, better send that work down here to me.

Cheers

Phil

(was nice to see the old posts from Grant again, still miss him and his input even though I never met hiim in person)