I Forge Iron

New to Blacksmithing

Hello all. New to the forum here and new to blacksmithing. As a matter of fact, haven't even started yet; but I want to. I've talked to several demonstrating blacksmiths at some historic craft fairs and they suggested a good way to get started was to join a guild. I live in southern Maryland, about an hour south of Washington DC and from what I've found on the net, looks like the closest to me are the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland, about 2 hours away; the Chesapeake Forge Blacksmith Guild, about an hour and fifteen minutes away; and the Blacksmith Guild of the Potomac, about an hour and a half away. Anyone have experience with any of these guilds and have suggestions on which would be my best bet? I'd like to choose one that is active and has regular meetings and classes. I am interested more in traditional blacksmithing, as was done in the 18th century. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Great site here by the way. Spent a lot of time last night checking out the pictures of everyone's forges.

Thanks again,

Jamie Bacon

I'd suggest carpooling to several of them and finding out which one is the best fit for you.

We used to carpool to the SOFA meetings about 2 hours away, stopped at a fleamarket along the way and made a day of it---lots of fun and kept the gas cost per person down...(and we had the stuff found at the fleamarket to brag about at meetings)

(18th century? So you are interested in the modern stuff! Y1K is where it's at!)

Didn't I answer this question over on Metal Artist forum, or did you not like the answer, as you didn't respond.

Yes, you did answer that question on the other forum. I liked your answer just fine and appreciate it. I always like to gather as much information as possible when researching a subject though, so I figured I'd see if anyone on this forum had any additional information. Again, thanks for your helpful response. The BGOP site is really good.

Jamie Bacon