I Forge Iron

Well I think I spoke to him about that hammer a few years ago. It has a broken arm or spring? Even if you loathe doing business with him it is only a one shot deal. It is a used Fairbanks hammer you are not buying any kind of guarantee or service contract. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to haggle hard or walk.

Well I think I spoke to him about that hammer a few years ago. It has a broken arm or spring? Even if you loathe doing business with him it is only a one shot deal. It is a used Fairbanks hammer you are not buying any kind of guarantee or service contract. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to haggle hard or walk.

Oh, the hammer is near where I live in GA, not there. This gentleman bought two of them in 82 and has only used one. The only part he has salvaged is the motor and the belt. He used the smaller hammer because of the concrete slab he had.

Did you buy the Hammer? Were all waiting for pictures. If you decide the hammers not for you would you please put me in contact with the fellow thats offering it for sale, Im a young college student studying forging in school and plan to make a living at it some day. A good large mechanical hammer would be a great help to me.

Regardless I sure hope the hammer ends up put back to work in a good shop!

Mack Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how many of us have named our power hammers. Claudia Maria Sarah Francesca Rigga. She was red headed and Italian. She is what people had in mind when they used the term "hot head." She could curse for a day and a half straight and never repeat herself, that added to her PhD in philosophy made sure I never had a dull moment!

Both my "main" hammers have names...( the ones that come and go I usually dont get as attached to...)
My Nazel 3B is the Big Green Meanie... and my Say Mak 60KG is the "Mack"

Congrats on the Fairbanks! she is a thing of beauty... ;)

If I own a bike for more than six months they get names.Right now I have a sportster named "Little Wing" after the Jimi Hendrix song as that`s what I hear in my head when we are alone on the road and "Walking through the clouds".
My current shovelhead is named "Betty".She started out as Sweaty Betty but now she looks like Betty Paige.
My rigid framed chopper is named "Dancer" as "line dancing" (weaving in and out of traffic at high speed)was something she did with minimal input from me.
My tools rarely get formal names.My anvil is just referred to as "Sweetie" and I have a favorite hand hammer named Jake that I`ve had for 30 years.When I pick it up I usually raise it to eye level and say to it "Time to go to work Jake".

Once I get a power hammer built I suppose I`ll name it.I suspect it`s the movement that gets me thinking that something has a personality of it`s own and therefore is deserving of a proper name.
Simple things like Jake and Sweetie just have been with me for so long that we understand and respect each other,we are like old friends.I suspect they will miss me when I`m gone.

Congrats on the hammer:) Just wanted to give you a peek as to what she will look like when she is all dressed up for the big dance;) Just finishing up my own re-build, I have tons of pics, here's the first. P.s. I'm running a 7.5 hp, 1100 rpm Dayton, so I guess I bypass all the underpowered discussion;) Before I hijack the thread and turn it into a "fairbanks-rebuild-picfest", does anyone care to see them?

post-13867-032221200 1282844162_thumb.jp

Congrats on the hammer:) Just wanted to give you a peek as to what she will look like when she is all dressed up for the big dance;) Just finishing up my own re-build, I have tons of pics, here's the first. P.s. I'm running a 7.5 hp, 1100 rpm Dayton, so I guess I bypass all the underpowered discussion;) Before I hijack the thread and turn it into a "fairbanks-rebuild-picfest", does anyone care to see them?

I would!

What kind of footing do you have underneath it?

Yes, me too. I have a fairbanks C (100?) that's rusted solid and looking for time/info to rebuild. I went as far as to get a spring from nameless in PA a few years back which seems much smaller than the one that's in it. It has some dies that do not appear correct height but have no info on what then should be.

Yes, me too. I have a fairbanks C (100?) that's rusted solid and looking for time/info to rebuild. I went as far as to get a spring from nameless in PA a few years back which seems much smaller than the one that's in it. It has some dies that do not appear correct height but have no info on what then should be.

I just ordered a book: Blacksmiths & Hammermans Emporium Freund, Douglas. It has about 20 pages on the Fairbanks hammers.

• 1 month later...

I got the hammer in my shop tonight. It is on its side on blocks so I can make a template. The electrical box is still attached with an almost brand new looking wiring diagram. It is a thing of beauty to say the least.

The only thing is that it was not the 125 pounder. The mark on the side is a "B" or a 75 pounder. That is more than okay for me. I found out today that the original owner was a friend of my Grandfather's.
Now let's see if I can sleep tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Note on the 125lbs Fairbanks. I think it is important to keep an bird's eyeview on what happens to these amazing irreplaceable hammers. Bought it from "E. F. Thumann" and reassembling it in Brooklyn NY to keep the nonworking model "E" Fairbanks here company.

(The "E" was stored up at David Court's place in NH for a friend and now looks on at the rebuilt model "D" with jealously. )

-Drew