I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing - Viking style

I just got back from an amazing trip. A living history group I belong to (Regia Angelorum) was invited to go out to a place called Norstead on the north penninsula of Newfoundland (directly across the street from the UNESCO L'Anse aux Meadow / Vinland site) for their Viking Festival. Ostensibly we were there to help train their interpreters - I was invited to work in the blacksmith shop. It was an amazing week - we trained, made repairs and had a lot of fun. I even got to spend an afternoon working with the blacksmith at the L'Anse aux Meadow / Vinland interpretive site, inside one of the re-constructed buildings - and my wife and I got to walk among the actual mounds of the historic site in our full kit. That was an experience I will never forget.

Anyway, while I was at Norstead I got to try my hand at some blacksmithing projects I've never done before - all solo, off the cuff.
One was a pair of pottery tongs my friend (who is a potter by trade) wanted to leave behind for the site's new pottery program. I didn't have any punches to finish off the tongs so the site handyman ended up drilling the hinge point .
The other was a Norse grilling iron for cooking which I made for my wife. The grill head was a bit small but I really like how the curve turned out. It's supposed to be made out of flat stock but I didn't have any with me so I first hammered out a section of 1/2" round flat for the grill and the other end flat for the handle. Needless to say it has a good heft to it. Hope you all like the photos. This is one trip I'll never forget ... can't wait to go back.

Sam
... also called Valdr

post-4558-049262000 1279574272_thumb.jpg

post-4558-041609300 1279574276_thumb.jpg

post-4558-056564700 1279574280_thumb.jpg

post-4558-063530400 1279574303_thumb.jpg

post-4558-076139300 1279574308_thumb.jpg

post-4558-091276400 1279574414_thumb.jpg

post-4558-035067600 1279574464_thumb.jpg

sunrise.bmp

That sounds like a terrific time Sam!

Just as an fyi, you don't need tool steel to make a punch so long as the piece being punched is good and hot, high yellow is more than enough. You'll need to quench the punch every 2-3 blows but that's no biggy if it's not tool steel.

Frosty the Lucky.

I like the Norse grilling iron. What should the diameter of the thing be? What size was yours? I may be doing a demo this weekend. That would be a good piece to make. I've made too many leaves.

Please tell me more about how these are used. What do they cook on them etc.

I like the Norse grilling iron. What should the diameter of the thing be? What size was yours? I may be doing a demo this weekend. That would be a good piece to make. I've made too many leaves.

My grilling iron is 5" across.
I don't know if there is a diameter it "SHOULD" be, I think I would like my next one to be around 6" across ... so one more coil around.
Remember that it's supposed to be made of flat bar stock, so save yourself the work of having to flatten round bar.
Cheers and good luck on your demo.

That sounds like a terrific time Sam!

Just as an fyi, you don't need tool steel to make a punch so long as the piece being punched is good and hot, high yellow is more than enough. You'll need to quench the punch every 2-3 blows but that's no biggy if it's not tool steel.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks Frosty smile.gif

Punching is one of the things that are going to be covered in the class I'm taking at Touchstone next week ... I leave Saturday and I can't wait !!! laugh.gif

Sweet!

Enjoy the class Sam. NOTHING beats spending a time with smiths, especially if there's organized learning going on. We're having a tool making clinic this comming Saturday and I'm pretty jazzed about it.

As I regain my skills one pair of small tongs I'm making will be side hold to use holding punches, drifts, chisels and such. If it works the way I think it will I'll be won't need as many long handled dedicated punches, drifts, etc. and won't cook my hand using a hand punch, chisel, etc.

Frosty the Lucky.