I Forge Iron

Anyone have experience with petrogen torch?

I recently came across these oxy/gasoline torches and it seems like it is to good to be true. I was wondering if anybody has used one or knows anything about them. Acetylene is way more money than gasoline and if it only does half of what it is advertised to do it should be ok. http://www.petrogen.com/ Sorry I could not make link.
Rob

I use one often. they have some issues. what are you going to use it for? it is a good torch for cutting scrap, but it takes allot of practice, and has some reliability problems. keep allot of the o-ring kits on hand. and lighting it is best done with a small propane torch.

I have never used it for anything other then cutting. Its great for cutting steel that has air gaps, like double wall stuff. we use it with L-OX at about 70-80 psi. the tip size I use is a #7 and it will use a 300 lb L-OX tank in about 2-3 hours of cutting. I'm not sure if the torch would have much advantage over Acetylene on a small scale. The biggest problem I have with it is that the O-rings always need to be replaced at the most inconvenient times. Also the gas tank needs to hook up to a air compressor. Its is about the best torch for cutting scrap M-60 tanks though.

• 2 weeks later...