I Forge Iron

Door Pulls

McRaigl and anybody else,
There is a matching set on the inside of the doors also with the exact same connection. I drilled two 5/16 holes thru the door and then counter sunk with a 1/2 bit. I threaded a section of 3/8 all-thread (tapered on both ends) thru the holes so the about 3/4 in stuck out on each side of the door. The shafts have a 3/8 hole drilled thru them and are tapered on the end that attached to the door. I put some epoxy (JB-weld) in each shaft and then used a rubber mallet to pound them on to the all-thread. The tapered shaft slid onto the counter-sunk hole to give a nice clean look.

The shafts are textured to match the square stock. I started with 3/4 in tubing and used the textured dies on the power hammer to shrink the tubing down to just under 5/8. I then re-dilled the center hole to 3/8. The texture dies are flat dies with roundish weld spots that have been flattened a bit with the flap disk. The shafts were mig welded to the square stock. I used a braided cup brush on the grinder to clean up the entire piece and to soften the welds - they actually blend right in to the texture. The pulls were then darkened with Darkening Patina and finished with 2 coats of brushed on Permalac.