I Forge Iron

Its been a while

I haven't done any smithing for a while (almost a year now).... All caught up in life, spinning projects, website development and trying to make a living. So yesterday, I spent the day doing upgrades on the smithing side of my shop. I put a splitter on the propane so I can run the forge or hand held burner without changing hoses. I mounted my vice to a plate so it can be easily mounted on my jig table and I FINALLY bolted my 100# LG to the floor. I have a simple project coming up where I get to make some shelf brackets for an office I'm building shelving and cabinets for. So I thought I would work out the scroll today. I made the spring swage buy pressing the profile I turned on the lathe into 2 hot blocks. I started with a round 1/2"x14" piece and ended up with about 20" length. It was a lot of fun but REALLY hot!!!

post-6253-020429600 1278633002_thumb.jpg

post-6253-046949900 1278633032_thumb.jpg

Good to see you posting again. Making a living can take up valuable time can't it? Well, at least it lets us persue the important things like spinning, smithing, acquiring toylz and making the spousal unit something nice every so often to stay on the good side.

How's the 100lb LG working or have you got it running yet? I was really starting to like the 50lb LG I picked up last summer till that stupid TREE put me on the don't touch THAT without adult supervision list. <sigh>

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks guys-
Looks like that sample will turn into a little hardware too :D
The LG is running but it could use some dies and a good tuning... All good things in time right ;)

I'm looking forward to making some furniture now that I have some heavier than my 2.5# hammer to hit with. Tools, tools and more tools- Hopefully the press will be coming together soon too :rolleyes:

I also made a Brian Brazeal drifting plate, you know, the one with all the different sized holes in it. Slick item, can't wait to use it....

Good to see yo back on ifi, nice lookin scroll. You know what it takes to make those dies, mine are holding up nice I have been making bbq tools and forged some 1 1/2 inch stock and the hammer works good. Welcome back, I was fixin to send out a search party

I haven't done any smithing for a while (almost a year now).... All caught up in life, spinning projects, website development and trying to make a living. So yesterday, I spent the day doing upgrades on the smithing side of my shop. I put a splitter on the propane so I can run the forge or hand held burner without changing hoses. I mounted my vice to a plate so it can be easily mounted on my jig table and I FINALLY bolted my 100# LG to the floor. I have a simple project coming up where I get to make some shelf brackets for an office I'm building shelving and cabinets for. So I thought I would work out the scroll today. I made the spring swage buy pressing the profile I turned on the lathe into 2 hot blocks. I started with a round 1/2"x14" piece and ended up with about 20" length. It was a lot of fun but REALLY hot!!!

that is the nicest scroll! I presume the fuller was to make the detail in the middle . Are you planning to make a lot of these? Would a simple spring fuller also do the job or is there some other reason for a special fuller?

I just start with the hot 1/2" round bar and beat and twist it in the swage- hit, twist 1/8th revolution and repeat until the profile is in the bar. I will need to make about 25 keepers for drawer handles and scrolls and I don't know how much scrap :rolleyes: Thats why I made the swage, so I can repeat easily

Now that the weathers gotten HOT! I get to play in the fire :D;)

Clinton- you going to be up this way in the next month or 2? I got some cool ideas for some "art" forging..... involves spinning too :o