I Forge Iron

Hi all,

so yesterday, I picked up an anvil. Some friends of ours up north had it sitting around, and last year asked me if I'd like to buy it. They told me it was a 300#. So, I went to check it out, and find that it's not a *true* 300# anvil. it was around a 150# English pattern anvil welded to a very solid steel base. combined weight was 300lbs. they were asking $250 and I thought it was a bit steep. I decided to pass, but kept it in the back of my mind.

so, a few months ago, I decided to start teaching again, and was in need of another anvil. I contacted them, and they said they'd let it go for $200 now. Great, so I go to pick it up yesterday. I'm looking at it, and cannot find any markings whatsoever, but I do notice that the feet have a distinctive flat on them that I see on Peter Wrights. Today, I cleaned her up a bit, and sure enough I cleaned it enough to read "eter W igh" and then "PAT" but I cannot find a pat date, or a weight. if there was a number on the front foot, it is covered by weld. There is however a square hole on the front foot on the right side, what is this for?

I'll try and get pics up tomorrow, as I'm curious to know the date/origin of it. all in all, I think I got an alright deal for $200. the face is in great shape save for a small chipped edge.

I'm quite psyched to have a PW and cannot wait to try her out. I was outbid on a PW before, so this will be a real treat for me. What is the history of the PW anvil manufacturers?

Thanks,

Aaron

PW's are English and the weight will be under the Name just where the feet blend into the waist. These are in 'hundred weight' meaning the first # will be multiplied by 112, the 2nd # is 1/4 of 112==28, the 3rd is lbs up to 27. Example; 1.2.10 == 1x112 + 2x28 + 10 for a total weight of 178lbs. age is after 1852 and most likely after the 1900s. My first anvil was a PW that had the # 1.1.16 which is 146lbs. BTW, you got a heck of a deal at $200.00! Good for you and enjoy!

glad to hear it. when I'm at my shop tomorrow, I'll shoot some pics, and see if I can clean it a bit more to make out a weight, and a date.

I'm still curious to know about the square hole in the front foot...

Thanks,

Aaron

The square holes were handling holes. They were used to manipulate the anvil during the manufacturing process.