I Forge Iron

Hill Anvil Birmingham 1830-1850 Questions

I'm Bill from Mechanicsville, VA and I just recently purchased a Hill anvil (163#) that I guess is fairly rare. It is in great shape for a nearly 180 year old anvil. There is about a 1/16th oo an inch swag in the face and various dings in the surface but other than that it is in quite good repair. There is a fellow here locally that has a machine shop and he could reface it I am sure but what say you guys? Will that kill the value of a rare piece? I plan to use it later in the summer. Should I just blet sand it. Does the "belly" in the face help or hurt? Just hoping to learn a little more about it.

post-14234-059202200 1277600267_thumb.jp

post-14234-051997500 1277600354_thumb.jp

post-14234-079087100 1277600379_thumb.jp

Don't let the machinist touch it.

The belt sander is very aggressive, and likely not necessary. This is a 150 year old tool, with a lot of life left. The face is not parallel to the feet, and the machinist will remove way too much of the hardened face unless he trues the bottom first. If he trues the bottom first he will still remove too much. The steel face is shallow hardening, so it gets softer quickly as you go deeper into the anvil.

Slight belly is good for many things, straightening likes to be pushed past to spring back to straight. Edges look passable, better than on my Trenton at least. Us a file on the sharp parts of the edges to debur the nicks, and leave it alone. Use the tool! Someone used it for a long time looking like that.

Phil

I'm with Phil, don't mess with it other than cleaning up any of the dings on the edges. Richard Postman has the Hill anvil listed in his book "Anvils in America". Pg 68 & 73. He states the Hill is English, made in Burmingham. The 1/16" sway is minimal, don't worry about it. Most of us like a little sway, helps in straighening your material. Just Enjoy it!

Thank you fellas for the advise. I am very proud to have found it and for $200 to boot. The man I bought it from is a farrier and a really neat guy. He was kind to sell this to someone just starting out in smithing.

I will simply file of the rough edges and have a go at it.

I can't do anything with it until August so for now it is on the floor in my office. It makes for great decor.