I Forge Iron

Haste Makes Waste

J W Bennett

I feel fortunate after 30 years in welding/mechanics/electrical that I still have all my fingers,toes and eyes in proper working order. When I look back at the injuries I have inflicted upon myself it has usually been the result of getting wrapped up in a project and not taking the time to properly protect myself.
Whether it be not grabbing a pair of gloves real quick or trying to get that last bit of weld ground down with a well used wheel. Not putting the proper supports under a heavy piece or not putting on a pair of glasses for a quick slag removal.
The list goes on and on. We as professionals all know better and indeed have probably corrected others for the same things. But how many of us can honestly say that we don't take chances from time to time.
I'm not as bad as I used to be and feel that I have came to a more cautious approach the hard way. Those lessons tend to stick with us longer than lectures and sermons.
I'm sure there are lot's of first hand experiences among us to share with everyone. Not just what happened but also in hindsight what could have prevented the "accident". Wheter it be use of the correct tool, correct PPE, a better attitude or maybe stopping an hour earlier.
Let's not forget the long term injuries from abusing our bodies. I have had knee and back surgery because when I was younger I wanted to prove I could hang with the big boys. I did and now we exchange names of doctors that we've had success with. I sure proved alot there!
Sorry about the soap box but share your mistakes and maybe someone will read it here and think before they repeat our mistakes.

JWB