I Forge Iron

LOOKING FOR TREADLE HAMMER

Hello everyone,
I saw this treadle hammer for sale near where I live and it got me thinking I could use one of those (now and then).
Problem is I'm not sure what a fair price is for one. There are a few pics and description, could some of you more experienced fellow blacksmiths give me your opinion on this one ?
Thanks !
Naz.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-outils-TREADLE-HAMMER-MARTEAU-A-PEDALE-W0QQAdIdZ201391484

Just my opinion but I think the price is too high. At 200lbs the 'anvil' is no doubt hollow square tube. And the head is not adjustable like the Spencer swing arm design.

Both things are okay and it could be a decent treadle hammer for light chiseling and punching.

Just a little high. I could see it for around $400-$500. Maybe make an offer if you think it will work for you.

Bob

It depends on how you look at it... I can see Bobs point, But on the other hand they are not easy to come up with locality and I think you would be hard pressed to build one for much less... If he wont come down on the price and it looks to be a good machine I wouldn't be afraid to pay the $875

While Larry makes a good point about building cost I still think $875 for THAT hammer is too much. I paid $850 for this one in the link below but I think it was well worth it due to the construction and the fact that it hits hard. The material alone in my treadle would cost more than the $850 I paid for it considering it was built with "I" beams and a solid base to the ground.

http://ironclad.shutterfly.com/45

Also, you may want to consider a vertical (inline) hammer design.

Yes, there may be better hammers around but this one is on the market and the current owner doesn't want it. If he doesn't want it he might be amenable to negotiation on the price, so show up with cash in hand and make an offer. If the man accepts it all well and good and if not just pay for it if you really, really want this one, if not walk away and buy the steel and make one yourself. I've heard it's so simple even an Iron Age man can make one, although I've never tried myself. :P
You may want to check out Sam Salvati's build of a simple treadle hammer. <_<

That seems a little high for a hammer that is not adjustable and doesn't have changeable dies. A couple years ago I could have taken a class where Clay Spencer was teaching construction and use of the adjustable swing are type with changeable dies. The cost would have been $700.

I got lucky a few months ago, the school needed to make room for a new induction forge and had that very thing for sale. Out the door with 4 sets of dies for half that price.

But they don't come up every day. A few years ago I ran across a smith in New Hampster who was selling out. He wanted $1000 for his. If you want one you have to act when you find one. Perhaps you can talk him down a bit. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your opinions guys, I also thaught it was highly priced but it's the first one I've seen for sale around here so I thaught I'd ask around.
I'll probably make an offer (I) can't refuse and see where it takes me.
Thanks again for all replies !
Naz.