I Forge Iron

I'm getting grumpy...

HWooldridge

Rather than age it is alert positive attitude conflicting with dull negative attitude. Kinda like matter/antimatter coming in contact.

Having been in retail it is easy to develop the dull attitude, especially when as a full time employee your hours get cut to 25 hours a week for almost half the year. They based health care on a moving average of hours so busy season hours (can't have overtime! EVER!) would help keep coverage through slow season.

I am glad I am not in retail anymore.

Phil

This thread caught my eye as poor customer service is also one of my pet peeves. I'm restoring an old Dodge and frequent the local "Name Withheld Because I Do Actually Like Some of the People There" parts store. 4 years into this project and many more years of keeping my not new other cars running, I have found what I should be able to find still available at the parts store (brake parts, alternators, radiator hoses, etc.) and what I need to look for at the junk yard. I have to grit my teeth and smile when the newby counter person come back with no part in hand and asks, "What year did you say that Charger was??" (Its a Challenger) Or worse; "What year was that Camaro??" It seems that to be a auto parts counter person at the chain stores anymore you simply have to decide whether to want to ask the customer, "What make, year, and engine?" or "Do you want fries with that?" rolleyes.gif

Any details of your cars Dodge? My good friend's family has owned a Chrysler dealership since 1953 and my friend and his brother has around 25 cars between the two of them. If had the fortune of being able to drive a few of them and they are usually at my diposal for the asking. My favorite of theirs is a black 70 Cuda convertible.

Banks, banks should be a place of decorum, folks dressed nice and neat, no shirt tails sticking out, hair neatly trimmed, if clean shaved then you need to be clean shaved not two days growth hanging on your face, if facial hair neatly trimmed. Now one thing I can't stand if someone waiting on me cracking chewing gum! My back is killing me and after I have to stand in line for twenty minutes it hurts even worse and then to get up to the teller and have him stand there and crack gum with his mouth open like a cow chewing his cud just set me off. I told him to spit it out! He got that deer in headlight look and immediately called for his supervisor, she was chewing gum like a cow, she called the branch manager and she was chewing gum but she had every teller at a window spit their gum out and then she invited me over to her desk. She said that she had never in her life though how rude it really looked to have her tellers chewing and cracking gum while taking care of customers. The next time I was in no one at any of the customer service positions were chewing their cud. <_<

Any details of your cars Dodge? My good friend's family has owned a Chrysler dealership since 1953 and my friend and his brother has around 25 cars between the two of them. If had the fortune of being able to drive a few of them and they are usually at my diposal for the asking. My favorite of theirs is a black 70 Cuda convertible.

Tried to send you a PM so I wouldn't go too off topic here, but it said you couldn't receive it right now. Is your box too full? I could e-mail if that would work better. PM or email me. :)

Kudos Bentiron, reminds me of of a kinder gentler era when...

yesterday I had to have a talk with my daughter and nephew, 21 and 14 respectively, when a man pulled up to the shop and I was busy on the phone. They were taking a break and when I waved for them to handle it, rec'd the :blink: look. they rec'd the <_< look. When the man had left, an explanation of courtesy and how I expect it to be displayed in my shop followed. Always training.

Kudos Bentiron, reminds me of of a kinder gentler era when...

yesterday I had to have a talk with my daughter and nephew, 21 and 14 respectively, when a man pulled up to the shop and I was busy on the phone. They were taking a break and when I waved for them to handle it, rec'd the :blink: look. they rec'd the <_< look. When the man had left, an explanation of courtesy and how I expect it to be displayed in my shop followed. Always training.

As I used to tell my kids "False motivation is better than no motivation".
They also understand that I know how to motivate people and things will not go well if I have to intervene. :o