I Forge Iron

converting hoof trimmers

Recently I acquired a couple a pair of horse trimmer/nippers. Definitely they're old but I can't find any i.d. marks on them. Since my funds are low to buy tongs, I was wondering the practicality of remaking the ferriers tools into tongs. Or would this be a bad and irreverent treatment of old tools.

Before you get too wild with hammer and fire, check to see if the any of the nippers are still serviceable as nippers. You may want to use the best preserved pair as a "hot cut" for small work. I have a pair I use to help cut and bend such small details as dragon's horns, tiny leaves and such. They will also serve "as is" for holding onto small work such as leaves, small blades or small springs. For such work, you may want to dull the cutting edge a bit so they don't bite into the metal too much. I use them that way for making small v or leaf springs for old style firearms.

I like tinsnips to make into scrolling tongs---the $1 old ones at the fleamarket.

I did pick up and *old* home made set of nippers: Wrought iron, steeled ends, enormous bow to them; ugly and poorly done and reform them into a special set of tongs---hot firebrick tongs, *very* handy to have a set that fits hot firebricks perfectly with wide bits to hold them securely!

Make a "V" cut in each jaw. The 2 "V"s should form a square shape with jaws closed. Using your favorite welding method (tig, mig, arc, etc.) weld a short piece of angle iron (maybe 3/4 " long) on outside of each jaw, following same "V" shape in jaws. I will let you do the math and design, but when finished you should have a sweet pair of tongs for working RR spikes and NOT damaging the head as it is fully protected inside the center circle portion of the nippers! A lot of nice forged items can be made leaving a RR spike head untouched, spike knives only scratching the possibilites. Have fun and BE safe!