I Forge Iron

Well I finally have a real anvil!

So CL want adds do pay off. A guy responded to my add wanting blacksmithing items and we made a deal last night.
Great face and ring, only a couple small weld spots and some small chips along the edges. Oval indent on the bottom(is this usaully trenton?) Name is missing the first couple charachters but reads AYSLER and under that WARRENTED then 1 2 2 wich seems wrong I will weight it again. and on the right toe looking down the horn it has 19385. Any ideas on the maker and age? I am very excited to use this and get that mass under my forging. Chris

post-7215-007469200 1275420596_thumb.jpg

post-7215-040717200 1275420607_thumb.jpg

post-7215-010196200 1275420623_thumb.jpg

post-7215-012592900 1275420631_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Chris! That's a good looking anvil.

The depressed oval is usually Trenton or Arm and Hammer. Since the weight is stamped on the side, I'm going to guess it's an Arm and Hammer right now. Unless someone chimes in before I get home tonight, I will check my Anvils in America and let you know what it says regarding year of manufacture as well as any potential customer the anvil was made for.

mark thanks for looking it up. I'll see if anything is more legible after I clean it up a bit more.
Chris

Well, I couldn't find any makers or customers with 'AYSLER' in the name in Anvils in America. If it is an Arm and Hammer, it was made in 1913-1914 range.

so after using the wire cup on the 3 layers of paint (orange, grey then topped with blue) the missing first letter turns out to be H, so the name reads HAYSLER WARRENTED, and the weight stamps look more like I 2 2 than 1 2 2 it is definately a symetrical stamp rather than a true #1. and the serial # is on the right when viwed from the horn. The metal finish seems rough around the name stamp almost like a course filed finish, definately finished that way then had the name stamped in.
Chris

I found a reference to a Haysler Iron Company from Kansas City in a Google search. It is referenced in the American Blacksmith and Motor Shop, Volume 8.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=97TmAAAAMAAJ&q=haysler+iron+company&dq=haysler+iron+company&source=bl&ots=KRixeF3-Jv&sig=H0U3VMWho-ieBePuwkV4Q88ouTw&hl=en&ei=Z2sGTLHQKoaCNvOb7K4J&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA&safe=strict

I'm wondering if this company had the anvil manufactured for it?