I Forge Iron

itc 100

I bought some itc100 from ellis custom knife works. When i got it, it was a brown lumpy substance that had been repackaged into a plastic tub used for potato salad or other food. It says to mix two parts itc to one part water. I always thought itc was a white coating that came in liquid form in pints. Does anyone have any experience with Ellis knife works? The shipment took a super long time to get so i just wanna be sure i got the right stuff. I also bought some duraboard, and heavy duty fire bricks for my forge. I am re lining the floor due to excessive flux. Figured i would improve my heat efficiency with some itc while i am at it. Thanks

I've bought and used ITC-100 from three vendors (never from Ellis, though) and it looked the same every time: brownish, lumpy and separating from an oily-looking brown liquid. It was always in an ITC container.

I've never seen it whitish until it's been fired and cured!

HTH,
Dave

I do not have much experience ...I did this ONE time...so keep that in mind. But just a note that when I built a propane forge I used a product sold by Larry @ zoellerforge his web site describes as :

Plistix 900F® is a general service coating that not only protects and extends the life of the refractory, but greatly improves fuel efficiency as well, and minimizes the health concerns of airborne ceramic fibers.The temperature grade rating for this product is 3400°F. It can be applied directly over ceramic blanket and other refractory materials

It was not recomended for application on Duraboard.

It was a white powder and mixed w water (consistency thick milkshake). It was and is still listed at a price lower than I found ITC 100.

Mention this because of the post regards a "white powder" and thought maybe that sounds more like Plistix.

If I am wrong speak up I don't mean to add confusion

I've bought and used ITC-100 from three vendors (never from Ellis, though) and it looked the same every time: brownish, lumpy and separating from an oily-looking brown liquid. It was always in an ITC container.

I've never seen it whitish until it's been fired and cured!

HTH,
Dave

Ok Now you got me wondering- I bought the stuff six months ago and haven't put it on yet but I thought it was white-ish. I'm going to have to go look now.... Hope I didn't send anyone in the wrong direction :(

My experience is similar to abrasives experience. I have purchased ITC-100 from Darren Ellis, a pint, and upon opening it looks like a couple of pounds of a light colored, not white nor brown but a greyish dirty looking substance, mud. Yes is gritty. After firing it is a light grey to off white color.