I Forge Iron

On line stores

Has anyone tried the on line stores like Etsy? What was the out come and what stores did you use? What did you sell? Any recommendations?

I have a freind who is a goldsmith. She sells most everything she makes on Etsy. It took her a long time to get established, plus she spent many hours posting all her products. It is working for her though.

I have not use Etsy but had an e-store for several years on Yahoo. Results were mixed; I was busy right before holidays but went through long dry periods in between. I now stay busier and make more money with custom work so eventually dropped the store. I seldom got more than 100 hits a day (most days were less) so maybe my keywords were insufficient.

The other issue is that people are impatient and want immediate shipment when you offer a product online. I remember one guy sent in an order for a coat rack and I did not acknowledge it until the following day. By that time, he was mad and cancelled the order, he also sent a "negative experience" email (the only one I ever received). I think he enjoyed complaining and writing notes more than shopping.

• 5 months later...

I know people doing well on Etsy selling handmade cloth diapers of all things. I'm sure the market for hand forged goods would be pretty good too.

By the way, do you have to have a business license to run an online web store? I'd imagine this will vary depending on where you live, but in general, is it something you have to have?

Personally, we just had to start planning on selling stuff to help pay for the cost of our forgin' hobby. An online store was the solution we came up with, but we kinda just started doing it without really looking into it.

a license would depend on the business address given. If the mailing address you are shipping from is inside an area(city limits or in certain counties) then yes you would need a license to be strictly legal. in my countywe don't need a license, but in city limits we do. any bussiness even mail order ones and ebay companies require a license. the up side is they can only fine you if they find you and with an ebay or online bisuness that becomes harder.

You may need a sales tax number and be required to collect sales tax to anything shipped within your state. I don't need a business license per-say but do need a sales tax number. There may be other regulations and restrictions based on where you live. A good place to start is your states revenue dept., the IRS website, and county or city clerk. Ask questions saying you are thinking about selling at the hobbiest level and want to do it legal.

ron

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a friend that sales..femo figurines and ornaments via Etsy & Facebook of all things,
..and I gave away my piece of RR track to a gal that took a position with HCC taeching jewlery-metal smithing
who has some interesting decorative stuff on etsy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the only way to learn is to do it so I opened up an etsy site: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ramsforge In the couple of months I've had this store I've sold a number of items that I wouldn't have had the chance of selling otherwise. The cost is sure cheap enough. Only 20 cents to put an item online and a small percentage if it sells. Plus there's a percentage to paypal, but overall still cheaper than consignment where they want 30 to 50%. It does take some time on line to get set up and to upload each item, but again not bad. I think the biggest problem is that there are thousands of stores in etsy, so how does one find you? I'm trying a number of different items to sell so maybe if the clients' search finds one item that then they'll see my other stuff, too. Any reviews of my site, line of work, or tips are greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats great Randy! I added you to my circle thingy. I joined a little local gallery where I grew up. I recently made an etsy account now that I have small things to sell. My personal problem is I really like the things I make and have a hard time pricing them. My dad laughs at it. Said I either need to sell them cheaper or stop making things! lol Out of anything I have sold most of my stuff through facebook. Friends seeing it or the friends of friends.