I Forge Iron

Ring a Bell?

This is a stolen design from Mr. Hofi. I want to get that out in the open first.

I made this bell from 3 inch 1/4 channel iron, worked under my 50# LG.

The clapper is drawn from a 1x1 square stock, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the inside clapper.

I heated the bell with a propane torch and then rubbed it liberaly with gliders paste.

This is my first attempt at a bell like this. Thank you Hofi for your willingness to put pictures of your work up on the web so we can all try to emulate your skill.

Thoughts?

John

post-5371-040749300 1273757747_thumb.jpg

post-5371-068328400 1273757752_thumb.jpg

It sounds very good, if you let go of the clapper. If you hang on to the clapper end then it mutes the ring.

I am pretty sure this is a Hofi design, because I viewed his gallery on Picassa http://picasaweb.google.com/hofi.einshemer

At least I am going to give him credit, he may have gotten the design from elsewhere.

I am going to have my saddlemaker/bootmaker father braid a leather strap to hang from the clapper so it can be rung without muting the ring.

It sounds very good, if you let go of the clapper. If you hang on to the clapper end then it mutes the ring.

I am pretty sure this is a Hofi design, because I viewed his gallery on Picassa http://picasaweb.google.com/hofi.einshemer

At least I am going to give him credit, he may have gotten the design from elsewhere.

I am going to have my saddlemaker/bootmaker father braid a leather strap to hang from the clapper so it can be rung without muting the ring.

AHHH, I was not aware of that gallery! Glad you put up the link! Thanks.