I Forge Iron

new guy

kozu

Hi everyone, my name is Sean Meloy, I am from san diego cal. I started out making bbq. Tools, my daughter bought me a small forge about 4 mounths ago, and i have been practicing ever since. This end of cali. is kind of dry on blacksmithing, there was a place 25 miles away that taught the basics. A community college thing, i sighned up but they cancelled the class because of low enrollment, i am still searching, i check out all the tutorials online then go practice, i bought lorelei sims book the backyard blacksmith, and that was a good basic for me, still is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Sean, The class you mentioned that was cancelled... Find out who was going to teach it. Whoever it was, probably was a smith. Maybe he might give out a few pointers or lead you to others who can. Try to find contacts & connections. Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my name is Sean Meloy, I am from san diego cal. I started out making bbq. Tools, my daughter bought me a small forge about 4 mounths ago, and i have been practicing ever since. This end of cali. is kind of dry on blacksmithing, there was a place 25 miles away that taught the basics. A community college thing, i sighned up but they cancelled the class because of low enrollment, i am still searching, i check out all the tutorials online then go practice, i bought lorelei sims book the backyard blacksmith, and that was a good basic for me, still is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks sean.

I know I had a heck of a time finding blacksmith courses or info in San Diego. Bandy Blacksmith Shop is located in Escondido, San Diego at Grape Day Park. Luckily I joined IFI when I did, a member posted just enough search info I was able to enroll in time for I think the only Wednesday night classes they held, 10 weeks from 5-10pm. To me that was the perfect time, but the instructor held a job that started at 0500 daily, so volunteering to instruct from 5-10pm took a toll on his Thursday mornings. I believe he still does the Saturday classes.

http://www.escondidohistory.org/history_center_007.htm

The other one is located somewhere in Vista http://www.cbavista.com/

Also, the only two Blacksmiths I know of in my area

http://www.brownemetal.com/

Somewhere in Old Town there's a Blacksmith shop. Hope this helps...