I Forge Iron

Well, I took the plunge!

Just couldn't resist any longer. Ordered an Octagon 75 hammer from John Larson. Those things are built like tanks. Just about everything I've ever advocated for a hammer is incorporated in his design. Great minds think alike!

I really don't like the constant noise from a self-contained and I gotta have an air compressor anyway. Having real dovetailed dies is a big plus too, nothing works as well.

Now I gotta wait! One Mississippi, two Mississippi......................

Congratulations Grant on your purchase, sounds like a nice hammer, but your supposed to be saving your dollars to come to OZ for "Get Hammered". :D

Cheers Ian Ross

PS I checked out the website, very impressive hammers ;)

I think that the Iron Kiss is the hammer to buy. If you deside that you don't like it send it to me, so it won't clutter your shop. I thought that I remember you saying 'I don't need no stinking power hammer.' There is a differece between needing and getting I guess.

Just couldn't resist any longer. Ordered an Octagon 75 hammer from John Larson. Those things are built like tanks. Just about everything I've ever advocated for a hammer is incorporated in his design. Great minds think alike!

I really don't like the constant noise from a self-contained and I gotta have an air compressor anyway. Having real dovetailed dies is a big plus too, nothing works as well.

Now I gotta wait! One Mississippi, two Mississippi......................

I also took the plunge on a 75. I visited John's shop a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the pride and craftsmanship he puts into his hammers. After beating a couple of RR spikes into submission the waiting is even more difficult. I don't know much about power hammers but I've been a machinist for 25 years and I couldn't find anything that I would have done better.

I don't need one for my production, but I still WANT one, geesh! Might be the last hammer I buy and I want what I want. I could buy any hammer I choose, and I guess that's just what I did! I wanted the best!

Well said as usual Grant.
I am saving my pennies and eating a lot of peanut butter so I can also buy the best.
I also have someone interested in one of my 2 wheeled beasts so it may take place quicker than collecting cans and throwing the change in the jar. :)
What made you choose the 75 over the others(meaning the 50 or the 100)?
You could also post why you chose the Iron Kiss over other brands but I subscribed to John`s blog awhile ago and know why I`m headed in that direction.Would be nice to hear why an old hand such as yourself with truckloads of experience sees them as the way to go.

OK, a huge part for me is always the person I'm dealing with. I've watched John for almost ten years futzing over his hammer design. He WANTS to build the best hammer! Because of that he probably comes closer than anyone else. I also don't care for the "skeletal" design of other utility hammers. I like the stroke adjuster close at hand and the fact that it will run effectively right down to 60psi. I also believe he has the air consumption lower than most. Dovetailing the dies is very important to me too. Nothing works as well.

So was the 50 too small for you?
What made you go for the 75 rather than the 100,I thought you were a "bigger hammer" type of guy.
Our friend from the UK,the Captain,had me thinking along the lines of having the cylinder(s) pulling rather than pushing but the more I read of John`s approach the more I thought why try to re-invent the wheel.I really like the way John thinks.
I also was not keen on the idea of having to build and then tune an air hammer as my first go-round with nobody local to help me sort things out in person.
I have helped friends tune bikes and such over the phone and by e-mail and it`s just plain frustration plus it takes 100 times as long to get anywhere close to right.

Congrats on the purchase of the new hammer. I for one would love one of the 75's from John. Never got a chance to meet him, or any of you in person, but am struck by the respect he commands. To me, it indicates he's the one to do business with. I'm just a hobby bladesmith, but as long as fortune continues to smile down upon me, I plan on ordering one later this year, or early next year, sight unseen. Respect mean's more than flashy marketing and hype. :)

Thanks for good words and thoughts and discussion.

The 50 does very respectable work without any apologies. A one-person studio would be delighted with one as compared to, say, a 50 pound Little Giant. The 75, however, uses the same air cylinder as the 100 and is extremely responsive and the snappiest Iron Kiss of all. Both machines will run on a 5 hp 2-stage compressor, the 50 continuously and the 75 almost continuously. The 75 will actually run on 40 psi, hence it allows the compressor to chug along with the tank almost empty. The 50 wants about 60 psi. The 50 has a 2.5" cylinder bore, the 75 has 3.25" and bigger ports. The 75 is available with an 11" stroke option for $500 more. In my business opinion, the 75 will do more work per day but the 50 is closer to it than you might think. It works better than any 50 I've ever seen. Nevertheless, setting these machines next to the 100 and using them in sequence, like RalphS did, the 100 seems monstrously more powerful. Most smiths don't need this heft. Then again there are those who want 700 pounders for cogging down BIG chunks. The COMPLEAT SHOPPE might use an assortment of power hammer sizes. Personally I like the feel of the 75.

Thanks again.