I Forge Iron

What is the name of your shop or business

Iron Clad

hmmmm guess I'm a bit boring. :( The first forge I worked from in Scotland was called "The Old Smiddy" Since then I've moved from that into another "Old Smiddy" and I"ve been unofficially referring to it as "The New Old Smiddy" which is fairly unimaginative. Been thinking of calling it the "Meggernie Forge" after the Estate I live on (which has a lovely castle), or "Gallin Forge" which is the name of the Farm it's on. Anything would be better than what the farm staff call it - "the plumbing store" until I moved in last summer, for 30 years it has been just that, a storeroom for the estate's plumbing supplies. But generally, I trade under my own name- I tend to move on every so often, my name will always be the same!

Neil, that's funny, I always thought your name "chyancarrek" was from native american influences!

and "Black Dog" Dave, that is a very interesting other business. :)

Great stories everyone!!!! Its so cool to hear the story behind the name or in some cases the story of how the name works for the business in the case of Newman Forge & Pattern Inc.

My business name is IronWood Design. It came about while I was in Collage and became interested in metal forging and tool making. The wood part comes from my love for woodworking. Woodworking also supported my Collage career. Ironwood is also one of the few woods that is so heavy it will not float.

I intentionally shied away from specifics like IronWood Forge, metal smithing, foundry and the like because I figured it would be to limiting. Ultimately, I end up doing tons of design work for client projects anyway so IronWood Design it is.

As the business grows I will be adding a foundry for Bronze casting.

You can check out my new blog at http://www.ironwood-design.net/blog/
I am also getting close to launching my website http://www.ironwood-design.net/

Not allot of smithing these days because of my obsession with spinning....

"Neil, that's funny, I always thought your name "chyancarrek" was from native american influences!"

Colleen, I do have a lot of folks who focus on the Chy An (thinking it's pronounced like Cheyenne) so they think Native American as well!

Hey Fe- getting back into casting eh? I still have bunches of foundry equipment for sale . . . I'll make ya a REALLY good deallaugh.gif

I started to call my shop Bad Creek Blacksmiths, since the creek that runs through town is Bad Creek. My wife didn't like the name, everything around here is Bad Creek this and that.

Well ended going with Smashing Pumpkin forge, nothing to do with the punk band of the 80's. When building my shop I didn't know what color to paint the walls. I got tired of the yellows,blues and such so asked a friends wife and she picked out an orange. Never in a million years would I have painted it orange, but it looked great. This was close to halloween and the big thing for kids to do is smash pumpkins, hence the name of my shop.

Great post! Very interesting! My original business name was RAM's Forge, RAM being my initials. Used that for 24 years. I still have the RAMS4G tag on my truck. (4G meaning "forge"). In 1998 I changed it to Dragonfly Enterprises. This was due to writing my book as publishers and dealers like more of a business name, plus I was adding a laser cutting service and was being open to whatever else happens. The name and my logo of a dragonfly with a dragons' head came about due to a railing I was working on. The client wanted a section of railing with cattails and rushes and then a dragon in the mix. I told him the scale was all wrong to have a dragon in there, so I made the dragonfly with the dragons' head.

post-1310-1273028260575_thumb.jpg

post-1310-12730282802081_thumb.jpg

post-1310-12730283846322_thumb.jpg

My shop is named Infinity Blacksmithing.
It came from a tattoo me and my wife have which is 2 hearts upside down to each other the rounds of the hearts crossing over each other to make an infinity symbol in the middle. Also the ends of the heart are open. It symbolizes infinite love open to endless posibilities, plus if you don't know what it is you would never figure it out(much better then having your ex-wifes name tattoed on you).(I'll post pics soon, I just made the pieces to a metal version but still need to rivet it together)
So the business name means open to endless posibilities, essentialy willing to make anything.

My little shop is (or will be) called Oakhammer Forge. A combination of my two favourite materials - wood and steel/iron (also my SCA persona name).

A friend of mine has a small hobby farm. They built a roadside stand to sell the vegetables they grow - she is also a potter and sells her pottery as well. She came up with the idea of me setting up a small forge next to the stall to sell small forgings. The Farm is called Millbrook Farm ... I'm thinking of calling the forge The Millrace Forge.

Sam

my buisness name is iron grip blacksmithing . the grip is for my last name ... and the size of my hands some say.. my ex came up with it about 10 years ago and it fit ... i used to be d&e blacksmithing for my dad (dave)and me (Eric) dad never has been into forgeing but he has contributed many ways over the years...

Hey Fe,

Regarding the foundry equipment,

I tried sending you a PM but it says your profile can't accept new messages so I sent you an email via your "email me" link.

Once I have an email addy I can send the PDF with Pics and descriptions of what I have.

JWH Fabrication

I used fabrication because I do just about all types of metal work and it seemed to fit better.
On any cards or other types of advertising I list what I do,
Metal fabricating
Welding
Blacksmithing
Metalcasting
Machining

I also do some woodworking but don't really advertise it, mostly it is for pattern making purposes for casting.

The JWH is just my initials.

But it is all pretty limited these days due to my back but I can still due a few hours a week (most of the time) of lighter work.
I need a helper or apprentice but can't seem to find anyone who wants to work for free.....go figure

welder19