I Forge Iron

Ideas on saddle racks

A friend of mine asked me to fab up some saddle racks for her horse trailer but I'd like to try and forge something for her. All I can really think of though is some simple twisted bars for the wings welded or riveted to a center post.
Anyone have any other ideas that someone with moderate skills could do?

Whether it's English or Western saddles, you need to take a clue from the bars of the saddle construction, itself. The bars are at an angle to sit over the horse's withers and back. Most metal racks will have two plates of metal that conform to this angle. You could even consider covering the plates with a soft yielding material like sponge rubber covered with cloth. No twists, or that will damage the hide or sheepskin on the underside of the saddle.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Hey FF,

Frank and SoCal are right - keep the area where the tree of the saddle rests smooth and clean. Is the rack going to be static or will it be a swing-out? I don't see it now but you had a pic posted of a standard rack - that's a really proven design and I think if you stick with that but perhaps do some nice joinery or other texturing embellishments, your friend will be pleased with the results - tack rooms on horse trailers are usually pretty confined so keeping it as minimal as possible will be best.

Take some pics when you get it done!

thanks guys, I was actually wondering about the sharp edges of square stock against the saddle. Especially with them bouncing around in the trailer. I've seen some which incorporate hooks, so I think thats a good avenue to add some forged elements to the design. I'll let ya know what I come up with B)