I Forge Iron

another anvil ID please

so not bad looking from the one pic I have now, but I have not seen it in person. Plus it might be just down the road from me which is rare so far finding stuff local. I would like some help and guesses to it's ID before I go look. supposed to be 100# plus? and around $2 per pound starting price. trenton maybe?, does not look like my dads PW and looks like too much mass under the heel for a HB?
Chris

post-7215-12719612543247_thumb.jpg

thanks so far guys , this is the only pic I have so far hopefully I will hear back today when I can see it so I'll check for markings ect then I think the tops of the feet come to a peak but not quite sure from this pic , and the area under the heel just doesn't look like PW to me.
Chris

Thomas no I wouldn't say I have seen alot of peter wrights at all, and was not aware of style change. I was under the impression they were pretty consistant in the major details like the flat topped feet ect. That and the shap of the heel are the only things that suggested to my limited exposure that it may not be PW. I have researched on here , ebay other smithing sites ect about anvils over the last few years. What were some of the style changes?
Chris

Wrought anvils on a whole tended to get more elongated as the 19th century wore on, best examples of how far they got were things like Trenton and A&H; but english anvils did change some over time as well.

Anvils in America is probably the best source on how anvil evolved. I do know that my most recent PW (1885-1910) looks quite a bit different from my first PW that was of earlier vintage.

Thomas so you are saying a earlier PW could have a thicker heel and not such a elongated shape maybe more along the lines of a moushole in general? I know I am oversimplifying this and hope I am not totally off base with my styling interpertations. I have looked into finding that book but havn't had any luck yet, I know it would be interesting and invaluable for discussions like this.
I do want to thank everyone on this board I find these discussions and the information I glean from them to be great.

Chris

Wrought anvils on a whole tended to get more elongated as the 19th century wore on, best examples of how far they got were things like Trenton and A&H; but english anvils did change some over time as well.

Anvils in America is probably the best source on how anvil evolved. I do know that my most recent PW (1885-1910) looks quite a bit different from my first PW that was of earlier vintage.

I don't think any PW would be as thick waisted as the Mouseholes were; but I could be wrong on the very earliest ones. Have to check Anvils in America tonight if I can. (It's a limited audience reference book and as such it is kind of costly until you look at ones that are 5 times as expensive---or 20 times as expensive!)

One place selling AinA
http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/books_index.htm

Thomas