I Forge Iron

Railing finished!!!

Sam Salvati

You guys keep asking me to see some of the stuff I make at work. Here is a railing me and the other guys at the shop have been working on for the past 5 or so months (not steadily, a couple days a week). I forged all the cap rail, all the knife/scythe shaped elements, and all the round bits on the end of the 3/8" bar, and made all the rings. The dots on the end of the 3/8" were all doubled over then forge welded, so they are 3/4" round and about 1/4"-3/8" thick, all the forged elements are 5/8ths round. The forged elements all have real knife geometries, thicker spines to the inside of the curves, edges to the outside. The lamb's tongue end was forged by my other boss Tim. The railing was designed by my boss Rachel, I forged everything to her designs. Everything is to code also (what a nightmare that was). all the 3/8" bar was dimpled wherever it criss crosses and was silver soldered by the other guys, everything else was Tig welded by the other guys Joe and Frank. It was a very fun and interesting, challenging as well! 9 panels in all, total of just under 31 feet.

Cool rail Sam, very interesting design I like the combination of organic and geometric, almost looks like a site scope through the bush... That corner coming down the stairs is a difficult problem to resolve, nice job. I would say if you spend the time to do such a nice job on the rail I would concentrate on a different connection to the floor it will clean it up and take it to the next level. I try to hide the connections I don't want people to see and exaggerate the one I do want them to notice.

Quite thin looking railing :P, actually so thin, that I had to use Google to magnify the pictures (you didn't ask your bosses before posting?). I like it, neat looking design and very nice execution. What kind if a finish did you use on it?