I Forge Iron

I have access to about a ton or more of coal that has been outside for maybe 30 years. I have managed to get it to burn, but have not put in the forge to try. The pile has much slack form all the years of exposure. I want to know if its worth the effort to bring it home the guy would be happy to get rid of it, and its free so the price is right

I will try it out this weekend let you guys know how it works. I have brung home about two barrels full does not look like I made much of a dent in the pile maybe more like three ton covers area approx. 10 x 12 feet and 2 inches to at lest 12 inches in depth. If this coal works I will really need to get going on my new forge which is bigger. Just have small forge like used for rivits or horse shoeing.

I agree with every one else. It is anywhere between 359 and 299 million years old. It is funny that you got it for free, because I just stumbled an entire basement full ( two ton actually) that has been sitting since 1956 when John's mom went from coal to natural gas. Burn it and be happy :~)