I Forge Iron

Mjöllnir

This is my first post on something I made, instead of just asking questions.

This weekend at last I was able to light my charcoal forge after many months of blacksmithing idleness. I wanted to try several things so I thought of 1)practicing Brian Brazeal's method of drawing down using two shoulders at opposite angles (his thread on making rings), 2)doing as Mark Aspery says, an exercise in upsetting and it really is an upsetting exercise, and 3)making something I'll like and wear(copying the design borntoride posted about the Thor's Hammer he made). I used 3/8 round stock mild steel.

So this is what I made. I took pictures of all the failures I had. I put them in the order I made them. From left to right: The first deformed, the second Ok, except for the finish(olive oil at black heat), I didn't liked it nor the way I made the eye; #3 developed a crack in the neck area, #4 deformed and you can see a piece of the parent stock with the shoulders forged, #5 almost there but another crack at the neck, and finally #6 with a different eye design and without any finish except vinegar and wire brush to remove the scale.

So in the end two keepers but a lot of practice. I also got to try my new rounding hammer (never tried one before) It was very good for drawing down using Brian's method.

Just wanted to share something...

Thank you

Rubén

post-2527-12705028420648_thumb.jpg

post-2527-12705028618147_thumb.jpg

post-2527-12705028924423_thumb.jpg

post-2527-12705029152301_thumb.jpg