I Forge Iron

Build or Buy?

HWHII

I am in the market for a hydralic forging press.

I can not make up my mind if I should make one or buy one. I have the James Batson book on press building and have studied it. I see possiable limitations with both designs. I how ever do like a typical H frame machine shop press for the size between the vertical uprights. Also I am woundering about tonage. Some say 25 ton is all you need and others say you should get a 100 ton. I personaly think 50 ton would be good enough. I would like to see pictures of your presses if you have them.

I would apreciate all thoughts and experiences you all have had with your presses. Thank You! :)

• 4 months later...

Here's the one I built, it's not a hard build, but if you count your time and materials, it's 6 one way, half a dozen the other. If I was going to buy one the Clayborn is the one I'd want. That's an old pic, I did have to use 1/2" flat bar for the guids instead of the 2" channel, it was flexing and bending it. Probably could have used 4" channel iron or heavy angle, but had some flat bar left over. After I replaced it no problems. The oil tank is two freon bottols brazed together. Got the pump, cylinder and fittings from Northern tools.

I've heard the argument of press vs. power hammer, I've got both and think they compliment each other nicely.

post-462-003591100 1281515345_thumb.jpg

I am in the market for a hydralic forging press.

I can not make up my mind if I should make one or buy one. I have the James Batson book on press building and have studied it. I see possiable limitations with both designs. I how ever do like a typical H frame machine shop press for the size between the vertical uprights. Also I am woundering about tonage. Some say 25 ton is all you need and others say you should get a 100 ton. I personaly think 50 ton would be good enough. I would like to see pictures of your presses if you have them.

I would apreciate all thoughts and experiences you all have had with your presses. Thank You! :)

I think it really depends on what you want to do... Are you going to do a lot of cold forming? Bending? Those require tonnage... Do you want to hot punch? Drift? Forge? Those require speed... You will do much better with a fast 15 ton press if you want to punch a hole than a slow 100 ton.... But if you want to bend heavy bar a fast 15 ton press would be ineffective and scary.... Without have a clear view of what you want it to do its hard to choose the right machine.... Its kind of like telling someone I need to buy a car, what should I buy? Well do you need to haul stuff? maybe you should get a pickup... Are you looking to commute? maybe a economy car... you get the idea.... I think a good compromise is about a 5hp two stage 20 ton machine... Anything with more tonnage will either be too slow to forge with or require more HP.. I am in the proses of building a 10hp two stage system for my forging press.... I was running it off a 15hp single stage and it was too slow.... with a 6.5" bore cylinder I am around 30 ton...

You've got a good point, I tend to forget there is other metal working than bladesmithing. Mine is used almost completely for damascus and for reducing large stock down and mosaics. It is a 20 ton with a two stage pump. Not the fastest in the world, but pretty quick and plenty of sqish and plenty of controll.

Guest Low-Alloy

I am in the proses of building a 10hp two stage system for my forging press....

Hello Monstermetal, or anybody else that knows why to use a hydraulic press instead of friction/screw press,

Out of curiosity--and not having used a friction press myself--why not use the 30 ton friction/screw press that you have for sale?

Hello Monstermetal, or anybody else that knows why to use a hydraulic press instead of friction/screw press,

Out of curiosity--and not having used a friction press myself--why not use the 30 ton friction/screw press that you have for sale?

Well.... I have both.. I think the press is better suited for the work I want to do. I took the screw press in trade and never really intended to keep it long term ( I did want to play with it but is smaller than I want) I think the screw press would do most or all of what I need a press to do but I think the hydraulic will do it better and faster with more control... There are things the screw press would be better at... But you cant keep all the tools...