I Forge Iron

Candle Holder

Something I just finished this week-

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

Base.jpg

It is designed to hold the spherical-shaped candles. The 'bowl' is about 15" in diameter, 1/8" plate. It was polished, then finished with Encaustic.

The base is 1/4" x 1/2" steel, riveted together & left natural, finished with encaustic.

It's a pretty hefty piece- That bowl weighs a bit, and was a lot of fun to forge :)

All the facets in the bowl reflect the candle light in an interesting way- I've got to get some 'action' shots of it.

-Andrew

Thanks, Frosty.

Encaustic is a wax-based 'paint' used by artists. I use it in my artwork from time to time, and have experimented with it as a finish for iron, and REALLY like the results. It seems to be more durable than straight wax, and has a beautiful finish that retains a fair amount of gloss without looking too artificial. It dries much harder than wax alone, and has a significantly higher heat tolerance.

I make my own encaustic, it is usually a mix of wax and Damar resin, which is melted then 'cooked' with the wax. Pour it in to cakes, an you're ready to go!

-Andrew

Thanks, Frosty.

Encaustic is a wax-based 'paint' used by artists. I use it in my artwork from time to time, and have experimented with it as a finish for iron, and REALLY like the results. It seems to be more durable than straight wax, and has a beautiful finish that retains a fair amount of gloss without looking too artificial. It dries much harder than wax alone, and has a significantly higher heat tolerance.

I make my own encaustic, it is usually a mix of wax and Damar resin, which is melted then 'cooked' with the wax. Pour it in to cakes, an you're ready to go!

-Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'm always interested in new finishes, even if they're actually old timey.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks. Leeroy- Damar is available from art supply stores- bigger ones, for the most part, or online. It is a natural tree resin. The stuff I use comes to me in big crystals, that I have to break up before melting... They even have insects in them sometimes, like amber :)

-Andrew