I Forge Iron

Grinder in a box

I recently bought one of these and am pretty impressed with how it went together. Thought it was worth sharing.

The kit comes in a flat rate box. It consists of a series of laser cut chunks of plate that bolt together to form the grinder base.

You have to supply or make your own wheels, contact arm, motor and bolts...

As built I have about $400 in this... Used a 1 1/2HP 1725 motor that was salvage (I think If I build another I'll use a 2HP + 3 phase motor and a VFD)

It comes with a rotating platen chunk but I chose to set this up with a contact wheel since I have other grinders with platens.

It wouldnt take much to build your own wheels but I chose to buy mine...

I bought a 10" contact wheel from Grizzly
Grizzly 10" wheel

and the Drive and tracking wheel from USA Knife maker supply
USA Knifemaker

The kit is available from Jamie at Polar Bear forge
Grinder in a box

If you order one, Tell him you read about it here, I am trying to get him to donate a kit to our Knife making school and if he sees some support It would be helpful!
4464247329_f118bdf244.jpg
4465024478_828f8baeff.jpg
4465024818_fe48740b40.jpg

Looks good Larry :) I watched the guys on another forum come up with that after getting ripped off by another guy... crappy start with a neat/positive ending.

I've got 2hp with VFD on one of my KMG's and it's definitely got a lot more snoot than my 1.5hp Burr King. I've got 3hp on the other KMG :) I really do think more is better! :blink:

What's this about a knife making school???

I tell you what... I have a variable speed Square wheel, and a Burr King with the knife maker attachment... And the Grinder in a box is my new go too grinder... I am really pleased with its usable and adjustable base and tooling is quick and simple to build. I am thinking I might buy another

Larry,if you do buy another you might want to think about putting one of those 3 phase motors I`m sure you or your Dad have cluttering up the back room on it and spending the money you saved on a VFD.
One warning though,once you try it you`llbe wanting to switch all the other motors over so buy a larger VFD and put it on wheels so you can move it around.
Nothing beats having infinite speed control while still retaining power in the low RPMs.
Wish I had known about VFDs before I started buying DC drives.

How did you know about my Dad's back room? You been out his shop? :P My Dad's "back room" is a scroungers paradise... Hundreds of new in the box three phase motors are the least of it... And yes I had planed on doing just that, its one of the reasons I think a second machine is in order. The 1.5HP 1725 on this machine grunts pretty well but having the VS square wheel has shown me the benifit of having the control. And like you in the past I went DC because its what I understood...

They still have alot more grunt in the lower Rs than a DC.
I can stall my 2HP DC Conover lathe at low RPM no problem.Try that same trick with my brother`s lathe,same RPM with a VFD and the same HP motor and you better be ready to turn loose of it. :o

Should be able to maintain a pretty flat torque curve with any decent VFD. Unless you mean compared to "gearing down". OK, I got the real deal! 3 X 120 tandem machine with independent 7-1/2hp motors. With 36 grit, I don't get sparks, I get a sheet of pure hyperthermic nuclear plasma.

What can I say? I got big industrial size toys! "Igor! More Power"! Kinda look funny now that I don't have a big industrial size shop. You should see my saw! 18 X 18, guillotine action, 1-1/4" X 15' blade, 0 - 500 fpm. fully automatic! I've cut through 16" 50Rc die blocks.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, that at least points me in a helpful direction.

I'm not sure if I can do the bearings in the arm, since I'm going to use the multi-platen. But then, my only experience with adding/replacing bearings of any kind is the bronze sleeves and babbit from my forge blower. I don't even know what type of roller bearings would be appropriate.