I Forge Iron

The worlds oldest anvil?

I was watching a show last night about these guys that hunt for meteorites and they talked about this huge one that was used as an anvil and now presides in the smithsonian. I found this little article on it I am sure there is much more info out there but this seems interesting check it out http://www.meteorite...cted_TUCSON.HTM
How Old Are Meteorites?

If meteorites formed from dust from the early universe, then we would expect them to be very old. Indeed, this is what we find. Scientists have used radiometric dating to measure the ages of meteorites. The results show ages of around 4,500,000,000 years--about seven hundred million years older than the oldest rocks on Earth.

VIKING ANVIL

This one might be older.

Edit: You were editing while I was posting. Yes, the molecules of these meteorites may be older than my rock, but the rock was USED as an anvil first.

I knew that was going to come up for debate so I added that bit on. Love the Viking Anvil I am sure we will dig up some more history lessons here, TP what do you have?

I knew that was going to come up for debate so I added that bit on. Love the Viking Anvil I am sure we will dig up some more history lessons here, TP what do you have?

The following isn't neccesarily my belief but could be a mathematical possibility:
Everyone is neglecting the possibility that anvils were used on other planets that could pre-date ours. Also, in the cycle of Big Bangs, there could have been previous universes without records remaining of them.....some of these may have had anvils or heaven forbid (Anvil shaped objects) or chinese anvils. It sure would stink to find out that other civilizations were ruined when they started importing cheap tools.

Older still, what kind of anvil does God use?

Also, How about the possibility of a anvil from a blown-up planet surviving the journey across space and crashing down to earth as a meteorite?

Again, even more weird, what if the size of the anvil was super small or super big, as if the people on that planet were not our size, or what if they had three arms?

I would say that the date of the material does not equal the date of the anvil. Exp: if I forge a knife from a meteorite the "knife" is not billions of years old.

I would say that the first use of something as an anvil sets the date for how old it is and so we're probably looking for a chunk of stone somewhere in the Hittite time/place for an anvil used for iron or more wide spread for an anvil used for bronze.

..Again, even more weird, what if the size of the anvil was super small or super big, as if the people on that planet were not our size, or what if they had three arms?

What if smiths on other planets were specifically bred to have extremely hard and thick skulls so that they could then use their skulls as anvils?

I remember seeing a photo of the meteorite anvil years ago. It was a ring type with more than half buried in the ground. Tom Bredlow of Tuscon, AZ, was making something on it. One of the things he's known for is doing some gates for the National Cathedral in D.C.. Top notch smith!!!