I Forge Iron

People sitting in workshops

This could also go into the safety section I suppose.

I have a real problem with new blokes/apprentices continually sitting down on drums benches etc in the workshop. We have a similar problem with visitors also. I also frequently see people sitting down at demonstrations. When I tell these blokes (or sheilas) to get up off their xxx (backside) I often get the look. When I explain to them the danger of sitting down where there are power hammers operating,they still don't get it.

These photos may help these people understand.

When you sit down near a working hammer, or even near an anvil someone is working on, you are putting your head almost in line with anything that is going to fly out from under that hammer. At best it makes it hard for you to move to avoid any flying projectiles when you are sitting.

These photos are of slot punch that broke in two last week while we were using it under our 5cwt massey.
1 hit broke it off, the top piece glanced off my arm and continued on for another 14 metres through the air before hitting the workshop wall where it left a chunk of brick missing. The piece you can see here was the bottom half left under the hammer. The top that broke off ( weight I reckon was 0.5 KG) and went flying we have not found yet. Yes I was lucky to not have been hit directly, but at least it is soft tissue where I was hit, (no I did'nt need stiches), imagine if it had been a head, eye, mouth that was the stopping medium.

If you sit down near where people are working under hammmers or on anvils, stand up! If you see bystanders doing the same get them up on their feet, "if you want to sit down, go outside, this is a blacksmith shop, not a lounge room".

I've seen too many things eject from under a hammer, and they all move xxxx fast, and they are all mainly sharp jagged looking things too.

Phil

post-5537-12684798903102_thumb.jpg

post-5537-12684800114235_thumb.jpg

post-5537-1268480048631_thumb.jpg

I'm with you, course the alternative is, have nothing available to sit on, or don't allow visitors. I just had a hand drill blow out a side of a rotten staff, I make walking sticks, and it went towards my belly, got caught in the sweatshirt at the belly pocket, thickest part, than God, and wound me up tighter than a welldiggers.... well you get the idea, The work was clamped, but the drill moved so fast, maybe thats the lesson, speed, things coming at you are like being on the 3rd base side bleachers, never take your eyes off the work, and expect bad things. A 5/8th blade bit can really punch a hole!!

I was at a demonstration several years ago and this fellow had us all sitting in folding chairs around the anvil doing a exhibition on forge welding. He sprayed the front row and part of the second with flux when his metal got a bit too hot and he was a bit P.O.ed. I was sure pleased to be standing in the back row with all the others between the anvil and myself. It is a fine line as to what is the best way to hold demonstrations, not everyone can stand and I agree that sitting can be dangerous. With the advantage of video imaging it is now possible to project images onto large screens so that all present can see what is happening without being in harms way or each others. It can also be a way for local organizations to make money for the local treasury to help fund more local events. B)

Glad your OK phil,. even when you know stuff can happen it can still be a shock when it does.

At a large aerospace forge I work in they use the small Clear Space Hammers sitting down next to the Anvil. One guy struck a miss blow on 2kgs of titanium at silly heat and it flicked up into his face. It knocked all his top teeth back into his jaw and cauterized his gums over. The medics kept asking him where his false teeth were, not realising! Crazy thing is he was back in work after a couple of weeks!

• 2 months later...

She'll be right Phil, Sheila's dig scars.... :blink:
I'm with you 100% about not having folks sitting down near the anvil, either hand or power. Done it myself and ended up with a hot off cut sitting in my lap winking at me thanks to Brother Sean working six feet away. Lucky I had my apron on......
I'm trying to get hold of some decent polycarbonate or THICK perspex to make shields for when I start demoing at the farm or out in the wilds. H & S is bonkers over here at the best of times, when you throw ankle biters into the mix it's not even funny

I was forge welding once and the spray hit a person in the eye who was standing outside of the shop at least 20 feet away. He was okay thank goodness. Now I'm careful who's around and turn my back to on-lookers when forge welding so that the spray ejects in the opposite direction.