I Forge Iron

Hitting Drifts

I'm new here and thanks to everyone for all the hard work and information. I have a question about hitting hammers and other steel objects with a sledge hammer or forging hammer. I was taught never to bang two hammers together or things can and will fly off. I saw this happen to a friend. I have seen in videos of blacksmiths using a hammer to hit a cut off tool.

on things like chisels,etc. the striking end should not be hard.also watch it and grind off any mushroom to keep it from fragmenting.if you forge tools just don't harden the striking end.if worried about bought tools. heat the striking end red hot and let it cool.(non air hardening steel)but another thing that can be done is use a brass hammer.just some ideas,jimmy

My thought on that is the same as Jimmy's. The struck end of a tool should never be hardened. My handled hot cut, top swages, etc are all softer on the struck surface. I know that because I occasionally have to use a grinder or sander to redress them. Make sure that you wear eye protection, either way. :)

if you do anneal a tool's striking end like jimmy said, hold the working end in water and heat the end with a torch or, if using the forge, take the working end down to bare metal(emery paper or a grinder) that way you can see to it that temper colors aren't drawn. or, the way i have done it in the forge is, hold the working end with your fingertips while the striking end heats, if it gets too hon to hold its too hot and you should dip the working end in water and continue heating. don't let the working end draw colors! the torch method is the best way though. Ed Steinkirchner