Jump to content
I Forge Iron

what type of hammer is this?


Recommended Posts

Called a "top maul" or "spike maul" Sometimes "ship maul". Used by shipwrights to drive spikes, use the "pointy" end to bury the spike. I used to re-work them into "frying pan mauls" upset the face larger and very full like a mushroom (not really that extreme) for "smooth setting" spikes without tearing up the planking especially in decking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...