I Forge Iron

Massey Magic

This hammer is my first and after five years in storage and digging and filling in, making gantrys, up and down, ive shared this here.
Fired her up couple of months back :D
Yesterday was cutting in some timber floor around the base of her and got thinking about getting the manual from John.N. I have known that it was down in power and John suggested the valve settings were probably off and there is some air escape around the ram, right!
The treadle bar was hitting the floor of the base when heavy forging, so using a length of wood and in run mode instead of forging off the treadle I used the lever. Happy Day, a lot more bump there to be had.
Took the treadle bar off, tweaked it straight, back together, lit the fire, hot metal, and watched the colour of the material get brighter (hotter), friction at its finest.
Time for the party then. :rolleyes:

Yes the news is brilliant, im well happy.
Friction.. take two pieces of material, take both out from the forge both of the same temperature, lay one of them down on the anvil and forge the other.
Which one of them remains the hottest, not the one lying down.
I witnessed a Dane hammer on a section of 10mm round and it was cold to start off with, up till a point when his cigarette was lit from it.
Nicely bizzare

Forgot to mention that was hand forging.
They like their snapps and fish mind.
Same here?!

An old saying goes that a prober smith hammers on a pieces of cold iron to if get hot enough to light the wood shavings used to set fire to the coals. never done it tho but only tried once..