I Forge Iron

New Coat Rack

Double Y

This is a coat rack - honey do - project for my wife. It is made from 3/8 hot rolled. I riveted the hooks on in a random pattern, but kept many of them low so my son can reach.

I used muratic acid and bleach to rust the piece then sealed with clear coat.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Only problem came with the install...don't you think that all stud work should be 16 inch on center? I built the hangers so they would be exact on 16 inch centers. I had the one stud located and attached one side of the rack....and of course there wasn't another stud where it was supposed to be! Oh well a molly bolt hanger and it will hold....

John

post-5371-12676297252537_thumb.jpg

post-5371-12676297318706_thumb.jpg

nice job on the coat rack I like the random patern.
as far as all framing to be 16 oc? maybe maybe not, could be 24 oc or maybe there is a reason the stud is not where it is "supossed" to be. if the anchor that you use is not strong enough you can open the wall up and add some backing,but you should be fine with just one stud attached

I spent some "quality time" in my crawlspace a year ago insulating. My floor joist range from 12 inch to 22 inch centers! The vast majority are 16 inch centers, but the variability is loony!

I guess that is what I get for buying an old house that was built for the builder...I don't look forward to opening walls up even though I will soon enough.

Very interesting looking coat rack. Looks like you got a chance to try out a number of techniques on it!

Phil