I Forge Iron

need help with 1st knife (dagger)

Cbennett0811

i, this is actually my second attempt at forging (first was a file knife that melted) its made of mild steel and i was wondering what would be the best method of hardening it? ik it wont get very hard being mild steel. also let me know what you think, ill post pictures here when its all done. Thanks

post-9226-1267481024279_thumb.jpg

very nice on work on the forging/ filing, to harden it to any kind of edge you need to use ice cold superquench andheat it to between dull red and cherry red. another option is to get some of the carbon buildup from inside an electric motor, heat the knife (not sure of the color) and shove it in a cup of this carbon.this should cause it to raise the actual carbon content itself, of course i have not done this process but am currently reading up on it. but for that knife i wuould just ry the superquench.

If it's true mild steel you are pretty much out of luck---luckily you found this out *before* spending much time on it right?

If it's A36 superquench will help some but it will never be an edge holder like a higher carbon steel would be.

To case harden the blade you need to surround it with carbon in a *sealed* container and heat to red for a number of hours and then be careful not to grind through the case.

If it's true mild steel you are pretty much out of luck---luckily you found this out *before* spending much time on it right?

If it's A36 superquench will help some but it will never be an edge holder like a higher carbon steel would be.

To case harden the blade you need to surround it with carbon in a *sealed* container and heat to red for a number of hours and then be careful not to grind through the case.

yeah i knew it was mild. i dont really know what kind of steel it is exactly but im assuming its mild. i just made it to have some fun with the forge and for decoration so it wont bother me really if it wont hold a good edge.

If you have some cast iron scrap you can heat, flux, heat to welding heat while heating the CI to near welding heat, then crayon on the CI to one side of the blade. Bevel the other side and leave the hardened side flat. The added carbon will make a rather good edge, but you cannot sharpen that side of the bevel.

This process was used for producing cheap knives for trade. I want to try this, but I am not ready to yet.

For super quench look at a phase diagram and select your before trying.

If its a decoration, don't try hardening. Polish it and put some furniture on and call it learning on a fancy letter opener.

Phil

If you have some cast iron scrap you can heat, flux, heat to welding heat while heating the CI to near welding heat, then crayon on the CI to one side of the blade. Bevel the other side and leave the hardened side flat. The added carbon will make a rather good edge, but you cannot sharpen that side of the bevel.

This process was used for producing cheap knives for trade. I want to try this, but I am not ready to yet.

For super quench look at a phase diagram and select your before trying.

If its a decoration, don't try hardening. Polish it and put some furniture on and call it learning on a fancy letter opener.

Phil

yeah, im thinkin letter opener for this one i geuss. thanks.