I Forge Iron

Hi folks... from southwest WA

NickWheeler

Hello Everybody :)

Just another knife maker here from southwest Washington. I've been making knives since I was 12, but just started with hot work when I was about 22 (10 years ago).

Two of my friends that you probably know, Bill Cottrell and Tom Ferry, were instrumental in helping to get me started with hot work.

I went to school to be an engineer, didn't like it when I was done, made knives full time for 5 years, got a different job where 450 of us got laid off and sent back to school, so I'm just finishing up a welding degree and machining cert. So basically I know a bunch of theoretical stuff (also known as bull-$hit), but don't really know what to do with it just yet! :huh:

I've spent a lot of time getting my name out in knife making circles...but I don't know too many folks in the blacksmithing world. I know I'm missing out because of that too, as hot work is my favorite part of the whole knife making thing.

Anyway, I know there's a ton of guys on here that are extremely capable and I hope I can soak up some of that while hanging out. :)

Just for s's & g's, here are a couple shots of the kind of stuff I hack together.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And this is said hack with Angi down at Canon Beach, Oregon :)

standard.jpg

ah, yes welcome to the forum. The stuff is nice, however your girl friend is very fetching. Are you sure that is not a picture that came in a frame you bought at Target ;) and you are trying to fool us. -again welcome; grant

Thanks for the welcome guys (I think, LOL! ;) ).

If the pic was from a frame they would have used a better looking male model! :blink: :lol:

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I already killed about an hour and a half reading through stuff here today :unsure::D

Larry, most of that was reading the thread about the Nazel that went to Jesse... Holy xxxx man :blink: What a story!!!

chyancarrek - so you're next to St Helens eh? I'm on the very top of it in my avatar :D

Nick,

I'm just South of Lake Merwin in N. Clark county. Thought about moving up past Cougar but it was just a touch too far in terms of getting back and forth to town.

Nice avatar, yeah, the ol' girl is quite the climb. I did a couple of "under the radar" climbs up the SE slope right after they reopened the red zone but never made it to the crater rim.
Probably a good thing - we got ourselves into all sorts of situations that can only be described as: "now, that was a dumb-A***ed thing to do!"

Careful of this forum, it truly can eat up a whole bunch o' your time!

Enjoy!
Neil