I Forge Iron

Forging Trouble

Amazingly, it's sunny and warm today, so I decided to finally get some forging done. I am using one of this thin metal turkey-roasting trays, filled with crushed clay. I dug a hole in the middle, and lit up in there. I had a lot of trouble getting the charcoal to a decent heat, though.
How do you guys start your forges? And how do you keep them at a good temp?
Thanks,
Archie

Archie,

In your description, you didn't mention an air supply. If you're going to get up to forging heat, you gonna need to put some air into the mix. To light my forge, I use a couple of sheets of loosely wadded newspaper, build the coal up around and above it, light the paper and apply a slow steady flow of air, which comes in from the bottom. With charcoal, once it's lit, it tends to keep burning till it's gone, unlike coal, which needs air to keep going. However, the application of air is what brings both up to heat, and air is what you need to maintain a good forging temperature.

Eric

Archie,
Good on ya for having a go. Eric is right though. Have you noticed when you blow on a camp fire it goes better. You need to add air. As an idea of how much, the reverse air flow on your mum's vacuum cleaner is a good start, but please don't dob me in to your mum as the bloke who made this suggestion. Again I agree with Eric, a log on your camp fire will turn to charcoal and then to ash just from the air the fire sucks from the atmosphere. Adding extra air means the fire will burn more intensely and therefor hotter... just what you want. Once you get this extra heat your turkey pan will very quickly melt away so fixing one problem is going to create another.
Seeing as how it's too wet to dig that hole what about a reasonable sized wooden box lined with the clay so that any of the wood is at least a foot away from the fire. (Yes I know, you other blokes, it's very primitive but we have to get young Archie up and running). Poke a bit of water pipe into the bottom of the fire hole in the clay and attach your air supply to it somehow.
Above all Archie don't be discouraged, it's all part of the fun :lol:

Thanks for the input :D I was using a small fireplace handbellows from the side and above, which wouldn't have helped very much. I am using charcoal which I made, by cutting up scrap wood from my basement into cubes and then just burning it. I don't have very much, though, and I should probably get some from Home Depot or some such place. I know that briquettes don't work, though. Tomorrow I am going to actually set up a decent forge, I think. I have a massive wooden box I just found, so I will use that. I already went through the discouragement stage several months ago, so I have no discouragement left in me :D
Thanks again!
Archie

This is the now famous 55 Forge but with a side blast set up. The idea is the same for most any solid fuel forge.

Wad up a couple of sheets of newspaper and set them ablaze. Add some sticks from the yard, add some air, add some coke/coal to the top, more air, and start forging.

After a little practice, and when the yard has been picked clean of sticks, you can skip the sticks and go straight from paper to coke,coal.

BOOM is NOT a nice noise and cutting the drum can be dangerous with explosive results. Have some one else cut it for you - and do not be close while they do the cutting.

Cost of the forge:
One end from a 55 gallon drum, plow disk, flat plate, wooden box with sand, etc
A section of 1" pipe
An air supply
Solid fuel.

This is not a permenant forge, but one that can get you started. Work safely at all times and keep any fire maintained and under control. When they send the big red trucks full of water to your location, sirens screaming, the fire is NOT considered under control. :? Use caution at all times.