I Forge Iron

Making a rasp hawk

I have been trying to build a rasp hawk

I built one this weekend with some success, however the forge weld didn't stick all the way down the bit. I got about a half weld, which I didn't find until after I had put the handle on and was doing a finish sharpening.

I wondered if any of you had any suggestions? I use a propane forge and have forge welded before, but not a rasp. I have been using 20 Mule Team Borax as flux and it has been working in other situations.

The little hawk I built didn't have much heft from the eye out, so i thought I would double the rasp over after wrapping around a drift. I thought that would give me more matterial to work with. Is this a technique any of you use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

I like rasps, a lot. They make a dandy little hawk/ax. This first one is folded onto itself once. cut to 9 1/2" long and welded.
The second one was folded over and welded but had a piece of black diamond file welded in the bit for a little extra material to work with.
I know what you mean about the eye. It can be a pain in the butt to weld at times. Make sure you flux it real well and let it come up to heat. I have made the mistake of letting the blade come up to heat but not the eye and it of course wouldent weld. Another thing, a member here told me this trick. Fold the eye over where you can make a half face hammer blow on the side of your anvil when your welding the eye. That way you can make good contact. Then just true up the eye later..Drift slowly,slowly,,,,slowly ;) or you will bust your welds (ask me how I know :P )
Picture435-1.jpg
Picture476.jpg

I think you just answered my main problem...I was keeping the eye back out of the heat. I am sure that is why I wasn't getting a good weld.

Thanks for the note as well Brian about the other thread. I had read that, but must have missed the part about doubleing it over.

I will give it another shot this week and see what I can come up with.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge. If I had any I would share back...HAHA

John