I Forge Iron

Stock Removal - How to make a good bevel?

gonefishin

I'm working at making good blades by stock removal, but a problem I can't seem to get better at is making the bevel.
I can make a flat grind easily. But I want to be able to make a hollow grind using files (Need to get a new belt sander).
Or maybe not even a hollow grind, but a convex.
Every time I try (convex), the part where it rounds off to the edge is barely noticable, I can't make it where it's a nice noticeable change to the drop, and it makes it look like a flat piece of steel. The degree I hold my file at is either too angled or too flat. I can never get the right in between for the bevel, it always comes out being a flat knife barely rounding to the edge. I know that's what a convex grind is, but you can't really see where the curves are since they're BARELY rounded instead of a fairly dramatic drop.

Any tips?
I'm not sure how to really word this lol, bare with me.

File about a hundred blades and it will be a lot easier.....Seriously! but for now it is a tough task to learm.One thing tha may help is a marking pen. draw a line on the steel where you want to remove stock with the file. As you file you can see if yu ae taking the line off or not. the may help you get the proper angle. Another thing is to find an old knife with a blade like you wish to make and use a marking pen on it draw a line. File just that area off and watch closely what angle you are holding the file. And a big deal is how are you holding the steel to be filed, If it is not steady you cannot file properly a piece of angle iron in a vise will help,, clamp your blade to it as a support.

Get a copy of Alex Weyger's book and do ALL of the filing projects. That's how I learned precision filing. Filing to a line is largely about getting a feel for how much metal is coming off, and where. That comes with a lot of practice and sore arms.(power tools are wonderful) On the upside, working by hand you have much more extensive control over how much material is being removed. I always found I tended to leave too much steel on blades when filing and cut too deep when using a grinder. After 23 years I still have to watch very closely when I start aproaching those lines.

Thanks for the helpful tips guys.

I've used a belt sander but I always end up making weird angles, very sloppy ones at that. And I always take too much off. Which is why I would rather use files, I have no problem taking a little more time.

Can anyone recommend a website that sells a good file kit with everything I would need for beveling knives?
I'm guessing a bastard file would be a priority, and a small precision one too (or maybe a chainsaw file) for the line where the bevel starts. I went to texasknife.com but their file sets don't seem to have everything I would need.
So if anyone could direct me to a site that sells a good kit I'd appreciate it.

Everything comes with practice, I've been trying every other day and each time seems to get a wee bit better.
Hopefully I'll nail this soon!

A good file set may help :lol:
I've been using an old file without a handle (Talk about sore hands)

Go to a good hardware and get one of each flat bastard, mill and flat file. A half round bastard and mill file. A round/rat tail bastard and mill file. All up seven files and you should be able to take on almost any filing project with that lot. Remember to keep your files clean and covered so they don't bump together. Don't force them into the work, let them do their job steadily and use your strength to guide them not force them. Once the filing is finished then its down to stones and emery paper.

Remember, practice makes perfect BUT they are talking about a LOT of practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a beginner in this knifemaking world. Like all things it is practice, practice, practice.

I once asked a friend who is a scratch golfer what his secret was. He said to hit a thousand balls a day. I then asked if there was an easier way? He replied hit 900 balls a day.

Eric