I Forge Iron

What am I doing wrong, or at least, not right?

I've got a couple of tynes out of an old horse-drawn hay rake, and I thought I'd use a piece or two for some hooks. I've been told that it's got a higher carbon content than your run o' the mill round stock you buy from the suppliers. I had a very tough time moving any of that metal; could I have been working it at too high a heat, and what should I be trying to use this stock for? I don't think shop hooks are the best use for material like this.

Hay rake tines are made of junkyard metal, so those rules apply. However, the hay rake tines I'm using seem to be quite high in carbon, make good knifes, and are notably harder to forge than mild steel. Forge it hot (high orange), but not too hot (it turns to cottage cheese, or sparks), and don't forge it cold (below bright red). I'm saving my hay rake tines for things that require a very hardenable steel.

This material seemed to work best between yellow and a medium orange. Water quench left it very hard. The natives (read 19 month old twins) have surrounded me and are chattering and giggling. They may be plotting my demise for the day, I'd better go play with them for a while. Please, keep the info coming, it's great.

Traditionally most people call hay rake teeth 1095... So very high carbon steel, you should oil harden, and be careful it is a little hot short. If you get too high into the yellow it will turn to cottage cheese. Its good for knives, woodworking tools, and mixing in to patternwelding damascus.

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
The rest just gets in the way...

If it was me ( which it isn't, but here's my two cents), I'd put those teeth up for a future project that might need hardenable steel and try to find some mild steel somewhere for hooks. You'd be surspides what you can find just lying around. I just started buying mild steel for an ongoing project and was amazed at how cheap some of it is. I think I'm paying .40/ft. for 1/4x 3/4 flatbar. I had put buying off because I'm cheap and on a very tight budget, but found that the ten dollars or so for twenty feet of steel was cheaper than scrounging it. I still won't walk past a piece of discarded steel without picking it up.