I Forge Iron

touch mark in the making

my mentor told me to pick a touch mark. as i am into norse mythology i thought i'd pick from that, runes that have a meaning towards the work. so here is what i mcame up with. if there are any critacisms please speak up, and if there are any runic experts please tell me if i am incurring bad luck or something lol. ;p

Looks great, a little complicated, but great. Have you chosen those runes because the letters Z U C mean something to you, or just because they look good? I have had some lessons in high school about the original futhark, and as I can remember the uppermost rune, the letter z, means safety, or a safe feeling. That is why the hippie-culture uses this rune upside down, thus meaning unsafety. The other two I don't know their meaning anymore, it's been a while. But if you want to I could ask my former teacher, he knows very much about runes. Just let me know.

Cheers

Looks great, a little complicated, but great. Have you chosen those runes because the letters Z U C mean something to you, or just because they look good? I have had some lessons in high school about the original futhark, and as I can remember the uppermost rune, the letter z, means safety, or a safe feeling. That is why the hippie-culture uses this rune upside down, thus meaning unsafety. The other two I don't know their meaning anymore, it's been a while. But if you want to I could ask my former teacher, he knows very much about runes. Just let me know.

Cheers

yes please ask your former teacher. i wanna make sure they're ok runes. i don;t practice the religion but i am a bit superstitious. but i just picked those three because kenaz, which also stands for k,(the c looking thing) is the first letter in my first name and the first and last letter in my last name, so i figured it had some importance, teh other 2 i chose for protection (algiz) and physical strength and speed and untamed potential (uruz) the large triangle based rune is valnott, odin's personal rune or something, it means honorable or violent death. since i am predomanintly going to be a bladesmith (what i am training in) i figured they were the perfect combonation. but please ask your former teacher 4 me, don't wanna incure some anciant norse wrath or something lol

The runes you posted stand for;from top left-Algiz,which stands for elk or the English letter Z,it represents trusting instinct,good fortune,friendship and protection.
Upper right-Kenaz,which stands for fire or the English letters C,K,Q,and X,it represents the blessings of energy,power and general good fortune.
The lower center rune is;Uruz,which stands for the wild ox or the letters U or V,it represents strong will,health,vitality and unbroken spirit.

All these runes are identified by the Germanic pronunciation.The old English would be Eohl-Secg,Cen and Ur from top left to bottom center.
The triangle or triple triangle is not mentioned in the Elder Futhark runes.

Hope that helps.

thank you... those are different definitions than what i was able to find. and no the valnott is not one of those specific runes but a more violent one (soposedly) of odin's own making... here's the site i used:http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/

Hi Junker,

I asked my former teacher and he says it's ok. He also said you can choose any rune you like, as long the intention is good. Most of the time the chosen runes were combined into one symbol, but seperately is also an option he said. You already found the meaning of the runes, so I won't mention them again.

I wish you all the best!