I Forge Iron

What tools do I need?

What tools do I need to get started in blacksmithing?

The question is intended for the newbie plus level of blacksmithing, and should be considered "real tools" to replace the starter set of make do items he wants to replace.

Anvil - something in the 100-200 pound range
Hammer - how many, what style, straight pein, cross pein, slash or diagonal pein, ball pein ?
Forge - depends on the fuel available in his location
Tongs - how many and what configuration?

And what other tools should be put on the list?

A vise is a must have - you really can't do a wide range of work without one.

Hammers are somewhat personal. After almost 25 years, I only have 7 or 8, plus 3 sledges. Some smiths have 50 or more and that's OK. At least one ball peen and the rest can be cross peen. At least one cross peen hammer at 1-1/2 lbs and another at 2-1/2 to 3.

Bolt tongs with box jaws are most universal. Jigs can be built to hold flat iron securely but flat jaw tongs are almost useless for most work.

Some variety of anvil hardy tools and some top tools are needed but will depend on the smith. However, you need a good hot cut - both for the hardy and as a top tool. I also have a round drift I use constantly - small end is about 3/8", large end is 1-1/4" - tapered uniformly for 8 or so inches.

sorry, shoulda added this to the other one.

tongs:
along with the box jaw/universal jaw bolt tongs, i recommend two sizes of pickup tongs. I have a set that have three "waves" to them (therefore three sizes of openings in the jaws) that work well for holding punches and some sizes of round stock when upsetting, as well as picking stuff out of the forge.

IMHO, a smithin' magician/ guillotine tool is indespensible for alot of the work I do (and there are plenty of plans out there) This was one of the first tools that I made, and I use it on a very regular basis. This along with the fact that it can be made by anyone with a welder, drill press , and chop saw puts it right up there at the top of my list. There are so many different dies that can be made for the guillotine tool that I've never bothered buying/making their "real" counterparts (Ex: round and square swage dies , slitting chisel dies , flatter dies , side set dies, fullering dies , and various shaping and decorative dies). and best of all you don't need to bribe your buddies with beer to get them to swing a 10 lb. hammer for you, cause the tool lets you do the swinging :)

Some sort of hold-down.

Hammers:
at least one sledge or hand-sledge in the 3-5 lb range
something around 1/2 lb
the following faces/piens in whatever combination in a weight comfortable to use for extended periods of time
flat, crowned, ball, straight, cross (right and left diagonal can replace straight/cross)

it never hurts to remind on safety equipment

ron