I Forge Iron

My forge will not get hot enough

Ferguson

I visited the best hardware store that I know of, about 15 minutes from my house. They have a large fastener selection. We were unable to find a compatible nut. The pitch is 24 threads per inch; that is what I measured, and they confirmed it. We tried metric sizes, as well as #12-24. Nothing fit. I measured the OD of the threads with a digital caliper, and came up with 0.230 inches, a little less than 1/4 inch. The manager of the fastener department said that it had to be a special thread, and I am inclined to agree with him. He said that anything 1/4-24 was probably pre world war II, but that the railroads still used it because they have some lights that were made that way.

I may order a special tap, size 1/4-24, knowing that it will be a little large. It may not work too well, but maybe better than the 1/4-20 that I tapped the hole for the first time. (For quarter inch, the standard threads are UNF 1/4-28, and UNC 1/4-20.)

Richard

That's exactly the approach and outcome I got - it looked line 1/4" 24 thread. It turned out tips were indeed metric. 6mm to be exact which requires #5 drill bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...