I Forge Iron

Building a forge

TheLaughingMan

Hey everyone! I am new to this craft but have always admired it and really want to try my hand at it. I want to build a good size forge for knife making but I have no idea the dimentions or even what kind of materials I should use. Sadly I don't even know the correct way to build the thing but I am really willing to learn. Please leave any info or point me in a direction.

Hey everyone! I am new to this craft but have always admired it and really want to try my hand at it. I want to build a good size forge for knife making but I have no idea the dimentions or even what kind of materials I should use. Sadly I don't even know the correct way to build the thing but I am really willing to learn. Please leave any info or point me in a direction.

One of the least expensive and easiest forges to build is the now famous '55 Forge' made from scrap pipes and an old 55 gallon oil drum.
Since the forum has been recently redone, I can't find the blueprints at the moment, so hopefully someone will post the link.

Another cheap and easy option is a wooden box full of dirt, you can pipe in air from the sides and wet-pack a fire pot out of the mud where the pipe blows out.

You can get a bag of kitty litter, which is made of clay, mix with water and cover the bottom of a trash can lid, or washing machine door. once again, make a bowl-like depression in the middle where the air comes out, and cover it with some kind of grate (a piece of 3/8" steel with a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled in it works well)

If all else fails.....there's always a hole in the ground.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but hopefully my post has gotten your brain working in the right direction

take care

Iain

One of the least expensive and easiest forges to build is the now famous '55 Forge' made from scrap pipes and an old 55 gallon oil drum.
Since the forum has been recently redone, I can't find the blueprints at the moment, so hopefully someone will post the link.

Another cheap and easy option is a wooden box full of dirt, you can pipe in air from the sides and wet-pack a fire pot out of the mud where the pipe blows out.

You can get a bag of kitty litter, which is made of clay, mix with water and cover the bottom of a trash can lid, or washing machine door. once again, make a bowl-like depression in the middle where the air comes out, and cover it with some kind of grate (a piece of 3/8" steel with a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled in it works well)

If all else fails.....there's always a hole in the ground.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but hopefully my post has gotten your brain working in the right direction

take care

Iain

How well does the 55 work? I mean im just starting out with ya know a simple knife idea and hope to make it into something awesome.

How well does the 55 work? I mean im just starting out with ya know a simple knife idea and hope to make it into something awesome.

It's a 55 gallon metal drum with about 6" of the bottom cut off. and has a pipe in the center.
It's not the greatest forge in the world, but it's certainly good enough to get you started.

More than a few people have taken the original idea, put more time and work into them and made some really nice forges.

You also want to look into building a "Tim Lively" or "Lively Forge" He is a well known knife maker who made use of adobe filled steel washtubs for his blade smithing forges.

I think the one might work out well for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nceqeyGzhs

I used a brake drum forge when I started forging and it worked great for knives it is not that hard to build and you can get all the parts at the hardware store i used a hair dryer for a blower. //www.anvilfire.com/index.php?bodyName=/21centbs/forges/brkdrum1.htm&titleName=anvilfire.com%20Blacksmithing%20FAQs%20 this link might help you

What Thomas Powers said! Smaller is better, it is easier to concentrate the heat, easier to work around and won't waste nearly as much fuel. Mine is only about 22 inches in diameter but plenty big enough. Even if you plan on making large swords, a small forge will suffice. You can't effectively work the entire length of a sword even it you could heat the whole blade. I usually only worKl on 6" - 8" of steel at a time, get it hot hammer to shape and repeat or move the the next 6" - 8".